lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
frankf
Not Yet Wild

Default 95 DCS Shudders but no go

I have a 95 DCS that the white wire from the charger receptacle broke off the battery and the cart stopped. It was towed back to the house with the tow switch on tow. When I fixed the wire and turned the tow switch to run the cart had a solid beep. I cut it off and on again and it quit. Now when I turn the cart on and put in gear it shudders and tries to move.

I have 38.8 volts on pack and each battery has between 6.4 and 6.49 volts, under load it pack goes to 36.7. I jacked it up and pushed the pedal and the wheels started turning slow then went full speed let off pedal and tried again and they wouldn't turn and the cables coming from the controller to the motor was too hot to touch. I have checked and cleaned all battery connections and the connections on the controller are shiney and new looking.

I have completed all the testing procedures in the manuel and it passed all.

I should also add that it is a stock cart, not jacked up.

Now, my question is what else could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.
frankf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 95 DCS Shudders but no go

The white wire from the main positive terminal on the battery pack to the charge receptacle is what supplies B+ to the Reed switch. which is the first switch in the solenoid activation circuit, so the solenoid deactivated when it broke.

However, I suspect the problem(s) you are now having might have been caused by over-revving the motor while being towed.
The top speed of a stock DCS cart is 12MPH and with stock 12.44:1 differential, the motor spins at about 2800RPM.
Even if the cart was only towed at 20MPH, the motor was being spun at about 4800RPM

A DCS motor in good condition might handle that RPM, but if it is the original motor, the grease in the bearings (and everything else) is 17 years old, so it may have protested the abuse.

The same is true of the axle bearings.

The cables are getting hot, so the controller is passing tons of current, but the motor isn't spinning.
I'd look for a mechanical problem rather than electrical at this point.
I'm not saying there isn't an electrical problem, just that the symptoms are point towards a mechanical one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - DCS- Primary KSI Traced.JPG (116.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I speed read,
Batteries good under load
cart shudders
on jacks cart goes with help to start
but could it be a motor brush problem, Johnnie?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
frankf
Not Yet Wild

I used the troubleshooting guide and everything passed. That's why I was kinda leaning toward mechanical also. I am going to clean and replace ends on the cables going to the motor to see if that helps. If it doesn't, we have a good electrical shop near by so I may take the motor off to see how much they will charge to rebuild it.
frankf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

IF you think it's mechanical make sure the rear wheels turn freely
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I speed read,
Batteries good under load
cart shudders
on jacks cart goes with help to start
but could it be a motor brush problem, Johnnie?
Could be, but whatever it is, the motor is in a stalled or semi-stalled condition and the solenoid and controller are passing enough amps to heat the cables.

Also, you might try pushing cart on a level hard surface. It weighs half a ton, so it'll take a little oomph to get it moving, but once it is moving, keeping it moving should be fairly easy.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO