lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Shawn8202
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 6 batteries or 4 ?

Hello again ...

Is it possible to go to 4-12V batteries instead on 6- 8v on a 48V system? If so, what is the process ?

I am thinking that the cost saving would clearly be substantial.

Thanks as always !

Shawn
Shawn8202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 6 batteries or 4 ?

yes you can... I have read on other threads.. most people will go from 4 12v to 6 8v.. they get longer run time out of the cart. If you go to 4 12v from 6 8v I think you will see a shorter run time out of the cart. I have a 36v cart 6 6v and a buddy of mine has a club car with 4 12v and my run time is longer than his.. others with more experience than mine will know more about this.. hope this helps..
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

So you are gunna save a $100 or so to reduce your cart's performance. Also those 12 volt bats will not last as many years as the 8's so you will have to replace them sooner and in the end you will be losing money and have a cart with less resale value and weaker performance.

Most of the peeps on this site are here for upgrading so I doubt you will get a lot of positive feedback on your proposed conversion, except maybe a few who have 12 volt bats and love them, lol.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

6 eights is far better than 4 12's. More range, easier on the batteries. Not that much cheaper since the 12's cost more than 8's.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would never go with 6 - 8 volt batts , why do that when you can go with 8 -6. Volt batts and gain superior runtime
Believe me it is worth the cost
Cheers !
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn8202 View Post
Hello again ...

Is it possible to go to 4-12V batteries instead on 6- 8v on a 48V system? If so, what is the process ?

I am thinking that the cost saving would clearly be substantial.

Thanks as always !

Shawn
What year and type of cart do you have now? It is way better to have six 8v because of longer run time and longer battery life.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Shawn8202
Getting Wild
Club Car

Jake,

I am working on a 1992 Club Car....

I really thought that it would be worth the savings but it seems like 6 - 8volt batteries is the way to go ... Thoughts ?

On a side note, I tried getting the steering wheel off today. After about 20 minutes of beating the living Sh*^ out of it, it never came off. lol

Shawn
Shawn8202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn8202 View Post
Jake,

I am working on a 1992 Club Car....

I really thought that it would be worth the savings but it seems like 6 - 8volt batteries is the way to go ... Thoughts ?

On a side note, I tried getting the steering wheel off today. After about 20 minutes of beating the living Sh*^ out of it, it never came off. lol

Shawn
Club Car made their first 48v cart in 1995, so I'm assuming yours has been converted?
The battery tray is configured for six 6v batts, so six 8v will fit right in.

I have never tried messing with a steering wheel on a cart, but I have read that they can be a pain in the butt...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you have the trays for the 8 volt batteries it is best to stay that way. I have put 4 12s in a 95 and it was no fun at all.. Had to make a custom bracket to hold the forth battery in the back behind the others. Why did we use 4 12s ? they were $20 each and a year old..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car