lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48v voltage reducer or converter

Alright, alright, I think it's clear nobody really knows...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
anix
Getting Wild

If you been around a while you might remember the old 6v to 12V converters use on the early fifties cars so you could add late model accessories. Used one on my old 55 ford so I could add an 8-Track. Yeah that old lol.
anix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #13
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

con·vert·er
/kənˈvərtər/
Noun

1- A person or thing that converts something.
2- A device for altering the nature of an electric current or signal, esp. from AC to DC or vice versa, or from analog to digital or vice...

sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #14
bdmridgeback
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Normally called a 36v/48v to 12v step down converter. Sometimes called a step down transformer by some companies. This is the one I'm using...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200115-120358_Amazon Shopping.jpg (420.9 KB, 0 views)
bdmridgeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #15
Corey_W
Gone Wild

Had some questions here.

I see several reducers on amazon that cost about $15. That seem will work but just for the cd player.

But if I'm wanting to add led bars, blinkers...etc...what am I going to need to look for..higher amps?

also was thinking about changing out some cables...and thought about using the car amp type wires...anything wrong with that?

https://www.amazon.com/Golf-Cart-Vol...ustomerReviews
Corey_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #16
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have never seen this thread before and I think there are a lot of inaccuracies of some of these answers.

A voltage reducer is just that, it reduces one voltage to another smaller voltage without changing the power characteristics. In our case it changes it from 48V (or 36V) to 12V but it is still Direct Current (DC) to DC.

A voltage Inverter changes the power from DC to AC and often changes the Voltage at the same time (usually upwards). So, as someone else said, it will change, say, 12V DC to 110V AC or 240V AC or some other voltage. The important thing is that an Inverter changes the power characteristics from DC to AC.

A voltage converter is a term used pretty loosely these days and seems to apply to anything. As someone else said, this is often used for a device that will change 110V AC to 240V AC (or vice-versa) when you are travelling. It is also used when you convert 110V AC to 5V DC to charge your phone. It is not often used to replace the term inverter but it's used just about everywhere else. If you hear the term applied to Golf Carts then, almost certainly, the words Reducer and Converter have been used interchangeably to mean the same thing.

None of them have anything to do with the number of batteries from which you get your power. If you tap two 8V batteries you will get 16V DC and if you tap three 12V batteries you will get 36V DC - that is simple mathematics and nothing to do with Reducers, Converters or Inverters. Yes you can get 16V to 12V reducers or you can get 48V to 12V reducers and I think that is where the other poster got confused.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #17
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey_W View Post
Had some questions here.

I see several reducers on amazon that cost about $15. That seem will work but just for the cd player.

But if I'm wanting to add led bars, blinkers...etc...what am I going to need to look for..higher amps?

also was thinking about changing out some cables...and thought about using the car amp type wires...anything wrong with that?

https://www.amazon.com/Golf-Cart-Vol...ustomerReviews
Voltage reducers are built to output different amounts of power, the usual is 10A, 20A or 30A. The larger numbers will allow you to run more accessories but even the 30A ones are limited when it comes to things like car amplifiers which can take inordinate amounts of power.

I always suggest that people use a 30A reducer and forget about 10A or 20A. The 30A ones are not that much more expensive and it saves having to swap them out later when you add extra accessories (which people invariably do).

The cheap reducers, such as the ones you have suggested, have no means of switching them on or off unless you add a HD switch or relay. This means that even though you might switch of your accessories, the inverter is still pulling power from the batteries. Although this is not much it is some and it also reduces the life of the reducer if it is on constantly.

The best solution is to buy a 5-wire, or trigger-wire, reducer from Scotty at Carts Unlimited or Dave at Revolution Golf Cars or one of the other sponsors. The fifth wire (trigger wire) connects to the key switch and the reducer is turned off automatically every time you turn the cart off. The reducers are also much higher quality and will last longer. You get what you pay for normally. Whatever you do, don't just buy a cheap reducer and wire it through the key switch because that can't handle the power and you could start a fire.

As to the cables, which cables are you talking about and for which purpose?
Old 03-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #18
Corey_W
Gone Wild

Tons of great info thanks. I was an ET in the navy but that’s was YEARS ago and I definitely need to brush up on my skills.

You also need higher wattage if you’re running more items..correct?

And the wires are the power wires.

But this all might be a mute point. I was testing the motor and snapped the post off. And the alternator shop didn’t have good news. I had just got the cart for $50 for the back seat(she made me take the whole cart) that I was going to use on a 84 ezgo. So I might go back to the ezgo as the project and sell this one for what I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2020, 01:31 AM   #19
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey_W View Post
Tons of great info thanks. I was an ET in the navy but that’s was YEARS ago and I definitely need to brush up on my skills.

You also need higher wattage if you’re running more items..correct?

And the wires are the power wires.

But this all might be a mute point. I was testing the motor and snapped the post off. And the alternator shop didn’t have good news. I had just got the cart for $50 for the back seat(she made me take the whole cart) that I was going to use on a 84 ezgo. So I might go back to the ezgo as the project and sell this one for what I can.

As you may remember from your Navy days (I was Air Force myself) Watts = Volts x Amps so they are all related. A reducer that can output 30A at 12V will be a 360W reducer. One that outputs 20A at 12V is a 240W reducer. Simple mathematics.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #20
Corey_W
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
As you may remember from your Navy days (I was Air Force myself) Watts = Volts x Amps so they are all related. A reducer that can output 30A at 12V will be a 360W reducer. One that outputs 20A at 12V is a 240W reducer. Simple mathematics.

Yup...that’s right. Thanks man.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car