lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club car ds can't get the steering wheel off

i've always used an air hammer with a flat bit instead of a chisel point. maybe 30 seconds at most to remove.

loosen nut, but leave it on about flush with top of shaft.
place knees under wheel with feet on dash area
press up with knees while hitting nut/shaft with air hammer

I have a 9 second video of this i'd send somebody if they wanna post it

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #12
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Big f'in hammer and some patience. You could probably go back and find me posting the same thing here when I tried to get mine off. I pulled and tapped and yanked and gave up on it and went back and tried again. Finally whacked it good with a mallet and went to yank on it and it popped right off.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just removed my '93 DS steering wheel. Borrowed (free) wheel puller from O'reilly auto parts. Drilled two holes through the steering wheel close to the hub (after removing score card cover). Inserted the pulling bolts and used big washers on back side of steering wheel. Popped off in a few turns of the main puller bolt. Drilled holes don't really show up on the back of the plastic steering wheel (there are many holes already there). I googled "club car steering wheel puller" and looked at the images. Picture was worth it.
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

Remove nut spray center hub splines with wd40 replace nut. Wait one day and the loosen nut while still having all threads on shaft covered, maybe 2-3 turns. Smack the crap out of center bolt with 16oz framing hammer until wheel pops up. I have done 3 ds carts this way a 83,97, and 99. It is helpfull to have 2 people when doing this one to yell "you weakling" while they use their knees to press up on the wheel while you strike the center nut.
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
lance_214
Rode hard, put up wet!

Club Car

I know this is an older post but I just replaced my steering wheel on my 99 CC DS...best way I found if your not keeping the old one...cut it off with a jig saw down to a small circle of plastic around the metal spine. Cut through the plastic till you hit metal, use a screw driver to peal remaing plastic off of the splined assembly and use a steering wheel puller from O'Reillys...took about 15 minutes and no beating with a hammer, no cussing like a sailor and a heck of a lot of less headaches. Maybe this will help someone since there are so many different ways.
lance_214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #16
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Camino View Post
I'm trying to remove one now, so for nothing has worked. I really thought the knees under the wheel, applying up pressure, smack the nut with a large hammer, would do it, NOPE. So now I'm going after it with a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel. I'll cut the hub enough to split it and then I know it will come off! The sad thing is the wheel has been off before, someone put on a chrome column cover.
El Camino - I'm in your situation - have tried it all but no go so far. Rubber mallet, 3 lb hammer, puller that didn't fit right ...
Problem now is I have a "hard catch" in the steering wheel at a spot or two when turning the wheel. And it seems like the hub might be "slipping" over a spline or two at those points as the wheel is off in alignment slightly afterwards. But the wheel still won't pop off the shaft! Guess last resort is the grinder but am hoping someone will have some ideas.....
All thoughts are welcome
desertratiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratiw View Post
El Camino - I'm in your situation - have tried it all but no go so far. Rubber mallet, 3 lb hammer, puller that didn't fit right ...
Problem now is I have a "hard catch" in the steering wheel at a spot or two when turning the wheel. And it seems like the hub might be "slipping" over a spline or two at those points as the wheel is off in alignment slightly afterwards. But the wheel still won't pop off the shaft! Guess last resort is the grinder but am hoping someone will have some ideas.....
All thoughts are welcome
That “hard catch” is likely the u joints in the rag joint, where the steering column connects to the steering gear. You should probably start a new post though since it doesn’t really apply so much to some other guy removing a steering wheel 10 years ago
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:32 PM   #18
Nicko773
Not Yet Wild

If you have a puller, tie it down and try cranking the puller.
Nicko773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car