lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 42 volts

It will have a voltage rating on it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
Naturile
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Alright I'll have to take it out to read it, tried looking at it with a mirror but my eyes aren't what they used to be! Maybe need to see an eye doc thanks Scottie!
Naturile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hold the cell phone camera down there and then blow it up big when you view - rookie
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:49 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturile View Post
Alright I'll have to take it out to read it, tried looking at it with a mirror but my eyes aren't what they used to be! Maybe need to see an eye doc thanks Scottie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Hold the cell phone camera down there and then blow it up big when you view - rookie
You can also take a picture of the image reflected in a mirror.
Since a mirror is a two way street for light, the flash on the camera will illuminate the hidden object.
Many photo viewing programs have a horizontal flip feature, so you can view a mirror image of a mirror image and the lettering is no longer backwards.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #15
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You won't regret going 42V if you have any kind of hills to deal with. HUGE improvement!
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You won't see the same speeds a PDS cart makes on any voltage. The DCS cart makes more torque than a PDS ans more speed than a series cart.
Basically a PDS on 36v goes 24mph without the controller limiting top speed -
The same set up in a DCS cart results in 20 mph. Add something like 17.5% (42v) and your top speed on stock tires would be 23.5 with a bout a 50% improvement in torque over the stock control...
Recap for DCS cart with pkg 808 and 42v
gain 10mph and 50% torque
Thanks for the answer, I already have the 400amp controller from you (ready for a 48v setup) and am just needing that final push over the fence on what to do, sadly that didn't totally answer it for me.

Going to the 400amp controller was a nice improvement, and I'm not sure what I really want more, range or speed. And again not sure I want to try and shoe horn in 8 batteries under the seat.

My problem is I don't know what to expect out of a healthy pack, my batteries are 2007s I bought the cart in 2012 and I didn't take the best care out of them for the first year and a half so they are toast, Right now I would say max range is about 3-4 miles (and that might be stretching it)

For what I have been using the cart for that is almost enough but then if I could get double or triple that I might use the cart more and who knows if I had a 20+ mile range what I might do, heck I might drive it to town
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Get your money's worth out of the batts. Mine lasted 9 years and served my needs. As long as you keep them charging whenever you're not driving, you may get a few years more out of them. I could have squeezed a few more years out of mine, based on driving conditions, but got the 48 volt bug.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlt View Post
Thanks for the answer, I already have the 400amp controller from you (ready for a 48v setup) and am just needing that final push over the fence on what to do, sadly that didn't totally answer it for me.

Going to the 400amp controller was a nice improvement, and I'm not sure what I really want more, range or speed. And again not sure I want to try and shoe horn in 8 batteries under the seat.

My problem is I don't know what to expect out of a healthy pack, my batteries are 2007s I bought the cart in 2012 and I didn't take the best care out of them for the first year and a half so they are toast, Right now I would say max range is about 3-4 miles (and that might be stretching it)

For what I have been using the cart for that is almost enough but then if I could get double or triple that I might use the cart more and who knows if I had a 20+ mile range what I might do, heck I might drive it to town
I don't know what the range is on a stock DCS cart, however with a standard 225AH 36V battery pack you ought to get about about a one hour run-time and a stock DCS cart does about 14MPH, so that should be in the neighborhood of 14 Miles. With a DCX400 controller in it, it might have a bit more range.

Toss a seventh battery in and you'll get 16.7% more range (and speed)

Basically, range is determined by the effiency of the cart and the number of kWh of energy yuou are carrying with you in the battery pack, A 36V 225AH battery pack will store about 8.1kWh and a 42V 225AH battery pack stores about 9.45kWh which is 16+.7% more, so the cart should go 16.7% further.

As for speed, if you end up with more than you want, turn off the Turbo mode and lower the Max speed slider.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #19
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Get your money's worth out of the batts. Mine lasted 9 years and served my needs. As long as you keep them charging whenever you're not driving, you may get a few years more out of them. I could have squeezed a few more years out of mine, based on driving conditions, but got the 48 volt bug.
Yurtle well maintained batteries can get you 9 years, I know for a fact that for a year and a half that I owned the cart they were very poorly maintained, and even that is an understatement.

Like I said the range I have now is working for how I use the cart now, do a parade put cart back in the garage until the next parade and then the occasional trip over to the in laws about 1/2 mile. On Labor Day weekend we we actually use the cart the most and by the end of the night on Saturday its pretty much toast (2 mile parade, charge for 6 hours, then 4 to 6 1/2 mile trips) By the end of the day I am only hoping we make it back to the charger so pretty sure new batteries could help that out, even cheap ones have to be better than what I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I don't know what the range is on a stock DCS cart, however with a standard 225AH 36V battery pack you ought to get about about a one hour run-time and a stock DCS cart does about 14MPH, so that should be in the neighborhood of 14 Miles. With a DCX400 controller in it, it might have a bit more range.

Toss a seventh battery in and you'll get 16.7% more range (and speed)

Basically, range is determined by the effiency of the cart and the number of kWh of energy yuou are carrying with you in the battery pack, A 36V 225AH battery pack will store about 8.1kWh and a 42V 225AH battery pack stores about 9.45kWh which is 16+.7% more, so the cart should go 16.7% further.

As for speed, if you end up with more than you want, turn off the Turbo mode and lower the Max speed slider.
So I think I haven't been comparing apples to apples, I was think the results of a 42v or 48v conversion would yield similar results to that of a PDS cart. However a range of 14 miles to me would be amazing! So I could go 48v and get a nice speed increase (less than to be expected on a PDS cart and) and still have a nice range (compared to what I have now).
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlt View Post
So I think I haven't been comparing apples to apples, I was think the results of a 42v or 48v conversion would yield similar results to that of a PDS cart. However a range of 14 miles to me would be amazing! So I could go 48v and get a nice speed increase (less than to be expected on a PDS cart and) and still have a nice range (compared to what I have now).
Even with a standard (225AH) 36V pack, you'll probably get more than 14 Miles. I forgot to take Regen braking into consideration when I did the rough guesstimate a couple posts back. That puts some of the energy back into the battery and extends the range.

When my PDS was stock except for 2Ga cables, it had a 20+ mile range and after installing 18.3" tires and a DCX400 controller, the range was 25+ miles on a set of 3 year old T-105 batteries. (36V - 225AH)

When I went to a 42V - 245AH pack with a DCX400 and stock PDS motor, my range estimate would vary from 28 to 36 miles depending on how hard I drove the cart.

My range with a DCX500 and a 10.5 HP motor varies from 28 to 34 miles.

I don't know how close a DCS will come to those numbers, but I suspect they will be in the neighborhood if the cart is in good mechanical condition and electrical condition.
------------

How much range you will have at 48V, depends on how you get 48V.

Attached is a list of several 48V combinations using both 8 X 6V batteries and 6 X 8V batteries.
The ones highlighted with a Yellow background have the same approximate range as a standard 36V-225AH battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48V kWh Comparisons.JPG (105.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO