lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New to carts. Just bought a 1986 EZGO!

Resistor cart. Made through 93 but most after 88/89 model year were controller carts. Nothing wrong with them but pretty inefficient compared to EMC controlled cars.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
paulvedderjr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Resistor cart. Made through 93 but most after 88/89 model year were controller carts. Nothing wrong with them but pretty inefficient compared to EMC controlled cars.
Is it worth doing a parts swap or upgrading anything to make it more efficient? Where should I start?
paulvedderjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Lots of fans and detractors of the older X cars so opinions will differ. I like the older metal cars. Built like tanks.
Drawback is there is not much aftermarket available for the older Marathons. Your own personal budget will determine what you can do on the drivetrain. There are conversion kits available. Just check with the sponsors here.
Don't expect a return if you build a Marathon to flip. Just build one to enjoy.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Nice looking project. How is the undercarriage? Any rust/rot, are the battery trays solid? As pggrove's said, it depends on your pocketbook but also what you plan to do with the cart. Is it just a cruiser, are you going to take it off road, do you need a rear seat, are you going to upgrade the electronics... Once you figure out what you want to do with it buy parts that will suite your upgrade as your wallet will allow. That way your not wasting money buying parts that will work for now but unsuitable for your planned future upgrade.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #15
coosa
Gone Wild

Paul, you have a resistor cart that is very similar to the 1984 model that I ran until the frame rusted in 2 a few weeks ago. Even though it may be inefficient compared to the controller models, they will work just fine if you use them as intended. You can upgrade it to a controller style, and probably should if you enjoy it and decide you are gonna run it for a while. Scottie sells a kit that will convert it and make it require much less maintenance.

One advantage of the resistor cart is that it is so simple. I've changed just about every electrical part on mine over the years, and it was always an easy and simple job. If I were you, I'd buy new batteries and then run it a while and learn how it works. Then you can decide if you wanta upgrade it or just buy a newer one. You certainly got a good deal on this one!

One thing very important - a resistor cart is made to run wide open. If you drive it slow you are gonna burn it up. The coils get red hot like a stove eye, and bad things happen when they get hot and stay hot. Just put the pedal to the metal and keep it there and you won't have a problem. You gotta stress this to everyone that drives it, or you will be replacing parts.

I came home one day after getting mine to find the Forestry Commission in my yard fighting a forest fire. My wife said she had driven the cart out there to look at pine straw, but assured me she didn't start the fire. Next day I went to move my cart and found that everything in it was fried, including the motor. She finally admitted she had been driving real slow looking at pine straw, but didn't realize she had caused the fire. I replaced all the parts and got the motor rewound at an electrical shop and was back in business.

I am sending my cart to the Great Resistor Cart Home in the Sky, and can give you a deal on a lot of parts if you happen to live close to central AL. I've got 2 motors and all sorts of other things, and also have a 2012 battery pack I'll let go for a good price.

Be prepared to pay a lot more for batteries than you did for the cart. :)

Good luck with it!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #16
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Make sure that the parts are indeed interchangeable between 84 & 86. If memory serves the 84 may have a rear end with the motor perpendicular to the axle and the 86 may be parallel.
Also there are different rear ends in an 86 EZGO. Some cars in 86 may have a splined motor to differential input while others will utilize a helical cut gear on the armature shaft.
Just FYI.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
paulvedderjr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
Paul, you have a resistor cart that is very similar to the 1984 model that I ran until the frame rusted in 2 a few weeks ago. Even though it may be inefficient compared to the controller models, they will work just fine if you use them as intended. You can upgrade it to a controller style, and probably should if you enjoy it and decide you are gonna run it for a while. Scottie sells a kit that will convert it and make it require much less maintenance.

One advantage of the resistor cart is that it is so simple. I've changed just about every electrical part on mine over the years, and it was always an easy and simple job. If I were you, I'd buy new batteries and then run it a while and learn how it works. Then you can decide if you wanta upgrade it or just buy a newer one. You certainly got a good deal on this one!

One thing very important - a resistor cart is made to run wide open. If you drive it slow you are gonna burn it up. The coils get red hot like a stove eye, and bad things happen when they get hot and stay hot. Just put the pedal to the metal and keep it there and you won't have a problem. You gotta stress this to everyone that drives it, or you will be replacing parts.

I came home one day after getting mine to find the Forestry Commission in my yard fighting a forest fire. My wife said she had driven the cart out there to look at pine straw, but assured me she didn't start the fire. Next day I went to move my cart and found that everything in it was fried, including the motor. She finally admitted she had been driving real slow looking at pine straw, but didn't realize she had caused the fire. I replaced all the parts and got the motor rewound at an electrical shop and was back in business.

I am sending my cart to the Great Resistor Cart Home in the Sky, and can give you a deal on a lot of parts if you happen to live close to central AL. I've got 2 motors and all sorts of other things, and also have a 2012 battery pack I'll let go for a good price.

Be prepared to pay a lot more for batteries than you did for the cart. :)

Good luck with it!
So my motor just fried Are the motors interchangeable? I live in South Florida.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ust-fried.html - There's a link to what happened...
paulvedderjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #18
coosa
Gone Wild

My motor is perpendicular. Its the same as an 81 model 3 wheel cart. I found it in a junk yard for $25 and put that motor in mine while the other motor was repaired. It worked fine. According to what PGGroves posted, my motor may not work on yours. Also, Woodrow is gonna take a look at mine and see if its worth fixing. Good luck on finding something.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1986, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO