lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
roostersgt
Not Yet Wild

Default G19 Motor Upgrade Question

I recently acquired a G19 from my father and it is pretty slow, about 11mph. Batteries are good and it is a low usage cart. Anyone here have any experience with swapping out stock motor for the Advanced GE D396? It is claimed to run up to 23mph by just swapping the motor while using existing controller and solenoid/cables. curious if anyone here has tried one and what their experience has been with the set up. Seems like a pretty cheap way to speed up the cart, if it really works.
roostersgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G19 Motor Upgrade Question

I would suggest the opposite route. Buy a Alltrax DCX400 motor controller or Alltrax XCT400 motor controller (XCT supports using the stock tach sensor, so speed can be more closely regulated). And some 4ga cables. The stock solenoid is a HD unit already. The stock motor is capable of 23-24 mph with this controller, and you will also see a noticable increase in torque.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
roostersgt
Not Yet Wild

Would that be a "plug and play" type of install, or would it require some type of reprogramming? I don't know squat about carts, or programming electrical devices, but am pretty mechanical.

Have you done this swap? All of the information I could find from their advertisements indicates only a 15-20% increase in speed over stock. That wouldn't be much of a change for the same amount I could go the higher HP motor that, if the numbers are correct, all but guarantees more speed / torque.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:43 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

I have done this a crap-load of times (work at a yamaha dealer for 8.5 yrs), and i always see the speed i said. Its plug & play (if you order the DCX400g19 model, its pre-programmed). Should drill a couple holes in the original mounting bracket, so you can use all 4 bolt holes to attach the controller. Also, using a upgrade motor on the stock controller usually nets lackluster results, but the stock motor responds well to a controller upgrade.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
roostersgt
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much.That answers the question perfectly. I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your credibility or experience, I'm just trying not to throw good money at something that may not work that great. My father was told he'd have to order a $2200 kit and change out just about everything under the plastic. I'm sure glad I found this site and that you took the time to set me on the correct path. Again, thank you. I'll be ordering the DCX400 today.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
roostersgt
Not Yet Wild

Okay, I just had the new DCX400 installed along with new HD solenoid (old one had post broken off during install of cables) and 2 gauge cables all around ($711) for a very slight increase in speed. Now I may get 16 mph. I'll have to confirm with GPS when wife gets home later. What could be the problem? Shouldn't this combo be getting me closer to 20mph on the flats? Brakes don't feel like they're dragging. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Something is very wrong here. This combo should have you easily over 20 on flats. What model number on motor? What is battery volts at top speed? Starting to wonder about motor health.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #8
roostersgt
Not Yet Wild

I thought so too. Just heard back from cart mechanic and he told me my batteries, although only a couple years old are "weak" and need replacing. They're "Energizer" cart batteries and I'm told they suck by the mechanic, no matter their age. Guess another $800 on Trojans is in my future as soon as I return from vacation. Dang it! Can't complain too much, as the cart was free, a relative term, to be sure.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
KosmoSVT
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hey, I'm also new here and just purchased a G19 (2002) My cart runs really good; meaning this thing is clean; garaged kept and runs 14 mph on flat with two adults. I did alot of researching here and calling and talking to PQ (Rick), D&D (Vic), Scottie B, Steve at Curtis and all have been super helpful and I can't believe the family style info and opinions that I've received from this whole "Golf Cart Atmosphere". I decided to upgrade controller first; cause I'm also trying to get to mid 20's with two adult. Curtis 1268 (should have it next week) Curtis, two stage speed toggle, 2 gauge wire upgrade, 400A Solenoid. I got the Itch (ha ha)
KosmoSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Sounds like you have "jumped right in".
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha