lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Bballtwenty2
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default 2009 Yamaha drive front driver wheel clicking/popping

Hello all. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and really appreciate this website!

-I recently purchased a used 2009 48 volt Yamaha. Today I noticed when making a sharp turn to the right the drivers side wheel makes a clicking like noise. It makes the noise at all speeds and is progressively getting worse. Any advise on how to fix this would be appreciated. Possibly thought it could be the drive box, boot, or wheel bearing.
-It doesn't make the noise while driving straight, but now with any slight turn to the right the clicking sound starts..
Bballtwenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2009 Yamaha drive front driver wheel clicking/popping

Wheel bearing for sure...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:02 AM   #3
Bballtwenty2
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thank for the response. Should I replace the hub as well? Is this something I could do or should I take it to the shop.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:04 AM   #4
Bballtwenty2
Gone Wild
Yamaha

And I was thinking it possibly wasn't the bearings because it doesn't make the noise while going straight. I recorded the noise, but couldn't figure out how to post it on here.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:26 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Failing "ball-bearings" almost always make lots more noise while turning than while going straight (under more side-to-side loads while turning, just spinning while going straight). You could do it yourself, but doing it with a hammer & sockets may harm the new bearings if you arent careful (can be done yourself tho). On a yamaha hub, 90% of the time the hub is still ok.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:31 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

If you decide to try it yourself, only apply force to the outer bearing race to drive the bearing into the hub, never the inner race. I have a box full of old "outer" bearing races next to the press to use for pressing new bearings onto place, so i dont exert any force on the inner part of the bearing while installing it.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:32 AM   #7
Bballtwenty2
Gone Wild
Yamaha

-Ok good. I sure hope this isn't signs to come with this golf cart... Anything else I should expect to be fixing soon. I just put brand new Trojan batteries in and also bought a brand new charger.

-I noticed this cart seems a little louder than my last club cart. Kinda has that jetsons electric sound. I'm guessing that just normal though.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:43 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Change out the gear lube & inspect for metal "stuff", and pull the motor to inspect & grease the motor coupler splines (motor spline grease & gear lube should be done At Least every 5 years). It is a "used car", so dont assume the previous owner did (or knew about) all the services that should be done over the years. Might want to check for the "white tag" axle thing too (plenty of info on this site). Easy to check for. See attached pic. Any color tag other than white is good (blue, green, yellow).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150614_225110.jpg (178.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-04-2015, 02:45 AM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Click/pop Noise is from front, or rear area?
Old 07-04-2015, 02:46 AM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

A yamaha rear end thats louder than a club car is a concern (club car is the loudest rear end there is).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha