lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Moving batteries around

Hey friends.
I have some why question from a novice.
I took the batteries out of my G1 to clean and paint the battery tray. I decided to move the batteries around when re-installing.
After re-installing my car would not go in reverse.
I pushed it into the garage and hooked the charger up, and the batteries are making a bubbling sound, also after being on the charger for a while, it will reverse. what may be the deal here?
davidh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Moving batteries around

I think I may know what happened. and It has nothing to do with moving the batteries around.
After removing the batteries, I sprinkled a little baking soda on the tops, with the caps on, to clean any acid that may be lingering. I let it stand for 5 min or so and rinsed it off. I bet some got into my batteries while rinsing. that is why it is charging like crazy now after having charged last night, and I haven`t driven it at all. it shows almost dead on my meter.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Getting baking soda inside will ruin your batteries. But you should not get much in there if the caps were on when you cleaned them.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Either I got a little baking soda in the batteries or I have one bad battery. One of the batteries water level was low yesterday, I filled it and charged it all night and when I got home from work the charger had gone into trickle mode. pulled it out and raised the top and the same battery had exposed vents again. And just pulling it into the driveway and backing it back in I could tell it took some of the charge away. They are 5 years old.
Can I replace just the one battery or do I need to replace them all. They are T 105`s.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

At 5 years old, mixing new batteries in is throwing your money in the trash can.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

5 years is the typical life of these batteries so you are due for a new pack. Don't replace one - replace them all. Old and new do not mix well at all.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks cg,
Kinda what I was thinking, hoping I could save a few bucks
Although charging this evening my stupid gauge on the dash reads full, and it didn`t do that last night. Pics below, What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1 gauge.JPG (68.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G1 charger.JPG (119.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #8
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Charge the batteries and let them set for 12 hrs then see what your gauge reads BUT your carts motor requires AHs and lots of them.Those 5 year old batteries have just about given all they can give and time to replace them all.Then you will be good for another 5 years.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #9
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Your right, I think they are shot. Guess I will bite the bullet, but dang!!!
I know the T-105`s are good but what about those Energizer batts at Sam`s, 84.00 here.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #10
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I suggest go to Sams and get the info off those batteries like Amps and the part # along with the weight of the battery.Then look for your nearest Energizer store and look up that battery on their website.What your probably going to find out is that 84.00 battery is their entry level golf cart battery.Spend a little more and get good quality batteries that will last you a good 5 years.Will those 98.00 batteries last 5 years or will you be replacing them a lot sooner ?.IDK the answer it's your decision.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha