lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
ztekdesign
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default DS Starter

I have a 99 model DS and lately the starter seems to struggle to turn the engine over sometimes. If I let off and push the pedal down a couple time it will take right off. Sometimes it will start with no problem. I installed a new battery thinking that was the problem but it didn't help. Cable connections all seem to be good. Could the starter brushes be bad? How do I check and is there a procedure or breakdown for replacing them?
ztekdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: DS Starter

Yes brushes could be going south.
First, make sure the cart is in maintenance mode or nuetral or rear wheels up on stands.
take a jumper wire and connect from the pos battery post to the pos side of the solenoid, watch the starter.
Do this several times, does it act the same as before? If yes then actually remove the cables from the battery to the solenoid and starter and clean them. They may look good but still have corrosion
try the jumper again, any better? If not then assume brushes
If you did the jumper and it seems better then you have a voltage drop in the starting circuit that supplies voltage to the solenoid either through a dirty connection, key switch or micro switch.
This is just something to check before you get into the starter.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had that happen to my CC. Stuggle to start..let up and push peddle again, sometimes 3 or 4 times before it would start. Went to replace brushes thinking they were bad. Old ones looked like new. Turned out all I had to do was tighten the starter belt. Belt was just a tad loose and slipping making me think it was the starter. I`d try tightening the starter first.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
ztekdesign
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I just checked the starter belt tension. In maintenance mode I can actually watch the starter stall out when it's trying to turn over the engine. It acts like it's weak and doesn't have any power. It struggles until it gets past the compression stroke of the engine. I'm just going to take it out and drop it off at the local alternator/starter repair guy in town. I will have him test it out and inspect the brushes.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Let us know of the outcome.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
ztekdesign
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well it's all better now. The guy at the starter/alternator place told me the brushes had plenty of life but that one seemed to be hanging up and it was extremely dirty inside. So he cleaned everything up really well for me and tested it. I installed it last night and it's a night and day difference. Starts every time now. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I love it when a real mechanic can fix a problem instead of replacing it!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

:Dirty Dang!! We lost a customer to one of those Hi-Tech mechanics. We weren't wrong we just ran out of time.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
mike6176
Not Yet Wild

I've got the exact same problem with my 93 CC, tomorrow I'll put the starter on the bench and see what the brushes look like. I'm betting its a pretty cheap fix compared to a new starter.

I knew this forum was a good idea!

Thanks!

Mike6176
mike6176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
troubleshoot and repair
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car