lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Default Low Torque 1996 Club Car FE 290

I recently added 22" tires and a lift to my 1996 CC. Before I added the new tires, the only modification I made was to add zip ties to hold the throttle spring when the spring broke at the governor. It seemed to function well with this mod before I put on the new tires. Now it has very little torque climbing hills. It still gets up to a pretty good top speed on the flats, though. Also, sometimes the fuel filters are half full of gas, sometimes there's no gas in them, but it always starts and runs. The cart sat for about 2 years before I bought it and I've done nothing to the carb. I was thinking that the first place to start would be cleaning the carb and checking the jets. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
stevenvjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Low Torque 1996 Club Car FE 290

Welcome to bgw
Likely your carb and fuel pump are working as designed..... the 22 inch tires could just be a little too much gearing change for the old motor to overcome on a hill.... Can you take a compression check of the engine so we can get an idea of what condition it is in? (an accurate compression check requires a fresh charged battery & throttle at wide open)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

I haven't done the compression test yet because I don't have a compression tester. I might go pick one up, though. Do you check compression by removing the spark plug, hooking up the compression tester and cranking it over a few times?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Just checked the compression - 160psi. That reading is probably a little low as the engine wasn't warmed up very much....
Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

160 is perfect
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Do you think it might be the driven clutch spring? If so, how do I check it? I feel that it should climb better since my brother has a newer but otherwise identical cart that outclimbs mine by a long shot...
Old 06-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes it could be the clutch is not 'downshifting' as it should... what if you try to climb from a dead stop? Is that better or the same? Also compression test results can drop on a warmed up engine compared to cold... but yeh, 160 is v. gd
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

It seems to do worse climbing from a dead stop vs. when it has momentum. Also, the top speed is pretty decent on the flats, but it takes forever to get there...
Old 06-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

How do the clutchs look when stopped? Front one open and belt is at the bottom of the puller, rear one is closed and belt at the very top of the pulley?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #10
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Yup. Also, I can compress the driven spring somewhat with my hand - is it shot? I thought I might start by replacing it, but the replacements are all "power" springs - is this what I need?

Tags
fe 290, low, torque
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car