lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Pinky48
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cool s/g Question

Is it possible for a starter to crank a cart but the generator part be bad?
Pinky48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
piehammer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: s/g Question

I have the same problem.......i'd love to know the answer.
piehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes it is possible, rare but possible.............whats the problem? not charging? if so make sure battery is good and voltage regulator is good, C.C, s are good for the voltage regulator going bad but the Gen/ side of the starter would be a last resort............................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
piehammer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

the problem i have is the generator is not putting anything out and the battery is going dead.....at 1st i thought it was a bad battery so i replaced it but the new 1 lasted a week and died aswell.....if i charge the batteries with a charger they are fine and the cart runs and starts great.....untill they are drained again.
how does the voltage regulator work?
is there a sensor on the generator that knows when the battery needs a charge.....i can't imagine the generator charges the battery all the time even if it doesn't require it.
piehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Hill Country Hunter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Last month I finally got my 2004 DS (Hurricane Ike rebuild) up to my brother-in-law's ranch for a week. The battery went dead on day 4. I recharged the battery and then ran the diagnostics on the s/g. It was putting out fine. I then ran the diagnostics on the voltage regulator. It failed. I replaced it and no more problem.
I don't have the manuals with me (they are at the ranch with the cart) or I would share the test procedures. Maybe someone else with a manual can enlighten us.
Hill Country Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

simple to test with a voltage meter..........put cart in maintence mode put probes from meter on batt post pos to pos and neg to neg........fully charged 12 volt should read at about 12.5 or so when you 1st start cart it may drop to 11.7 volts but start rising as your gassing cart voltage should rise from 12. 5 volts up to 15.3..............anywheres from from 13.5 to 15.3 is good........under 13.5 while running is bad and over 15.3 is bad.......if so open the box where solenoid is and voltage regulator is in the same box, the older carts had an adjustable bulky brass looking V.R while newer carts its a square black box with a bolt going thur the center.......unless it has been replaced than its more reqtanular than square........a little foul to change just room wise with all the wires sitting on top but i would change that before starter...........that was another part i kept a dozen of because the old style was known to go bad.............................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car