lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Anyone have experience with Plowmans 2 speed controller?

Nice looking cart. Are you running 22" tires? What are you doing for interior?

Give us a report back on how the 2-speed worked. I was under the impression that you picked up some noticeable increase in torque as well as speed. One more question; you said that "factory speed was aprox 13mph". Was that after your lift and tires were installed? In other words, did you end up picking up nearly 10mph by simply switching to the 2 speed controller?

SHMO
shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #22
VC-Racing
Getting Wild

Yamaha

My factory speed was 12 mph with the 18" tire( stock) and was a lil over 13mph with the 23" tire. Installed the controller and went to 23 mph w/ me and my wife on the cart. With her only, its got to 25 mph . Its fast enough I plan on doing a ft. disc brake kit in the very near future.

Torque did increase, but not a substantial amount ( seat of the pants meter) , but it did increase( haven't worked it hard yet). I've got a friend who has a EZ Go and he thinks the Yammie has more torque on take off ( factory settings) and he still thinks that after all the mods .. I'm thinking with a motor upgrade the torque will be a lot more noticeable( but that's way off in the future , I hope) . I really haven't spent a lot of time with the turf mode. However , tomorrow I will give it a try.. we're going to the farm, so we'll be doing some off-roading.....

The seats will be color matched with black trim and a custom enclosure ( similar to the seat colors ) made for those rainy and cold days. I'm adding some polish diamond plate accessories, a stereo, and lights in the next few weeks. Still debating about a rear seat kit, but may build a cooler rack for the rear instead... Its a work in progress. I can only work on it on the weekends, because my wife drive it to her work everyday ..
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well,

it looks like I'm stepping up. Coincidence has it, my stock controller looks like it went bad. I phoned Plowman's today, but their 2-speeds are out of stock. They will be getting some in supposedly the beginning of next week.

Any tips, tricks or things I should look for? I would like to get everything ordered that I need, so I can be up and running as soon as possible. I know you mentioned that the "destructions" were not complete. Is that something I need to be aware of?

SHMO
Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #24
VC-Racing
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I called Plowman's about the instructions, I would recommend you do the same if you're going to do it yourself.. I only had a sheet that covered the turf pin install. Had to call for tech support for the other... Other wise the install was very straightforward..

Only major thing's were having to drill new mounting holes and change the pin's in the plug. We had to add the pin for the turf switch. If I recall you move pin #11 to the #17 spot and the turf pin is the #13.. All in all very simple but tedious . One thing on my cart we had to do that wasn't covered in the directions was the A2 connection has the A2 and Neg combined. We had to separate the A2 and neg cable, because the neg has a dedicated connection on the controller.

Plowman's told me that several people had wired them wrong and cooked the controllers, so I had a local cart shop install mine, because to my understanding that would keep the warranty intact.

If I had to do another on I'd do it myself with no hesitation...

I think you'll be happy with the controller, I know I compared the cost to some of the other controller available , it was a couple $100 bucks cheaper to do the 2 speed.

Good luck..

Vic
Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #25
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

VC-racing, you upgraded your wires to 2awg. I repeatedly asked Plowman's about upping the gauge of my wiring (because common sense told me it would be needed), but they informed me that it was completely unnecessary. Is that what they told you as well? I was a little dumbfounded by that.

At this point I guess I am going to simply install the controller, no solenoid, no wires, no F/R switch, no nothing. That is what Plowman's recommended I do. Just wondering if you were told something similar?

SHMO
Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #26
VC-Racing
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Yeah they told me the same thing.. I did the wires because I had a couple that were looking kinda bad... And the solenoid was a casualty of not having all the instructions....
Old 08-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #27
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well, it showed up this afternoon. It didn't take very long at all to install, maybe an hour and that was only because I was nervous about missing something....very basic install though, hardly worth worrying about.

My results were somewhat anticlimactic. My battery pack was not fully charged. To be honest I didn't even check the state of charge, but I know it was low. I am sure that a fully charged battery pack will show more improvement.....even though I knew better, I still had to take it out and race it against our G-19. The G-19 and the G22 were comparable in top speed, but the G19 has always been a much more torquey cart. From a dead stop the G22 with the Plowman's kit easily walked away...... but not by as much as I was hoping for. I am sure that a charge will help. Overall, there is no question that it was an improvement....GPS numbers to follow

SHMO
Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #28
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well,

charged the pack and ready for try #2.

The first thing I noticed was a big jump in immediate torque. I chirped the tires pulling out from the garage in reverse, purely accidental. However, that would not have been doable with the stock setup so that tells me it is flowing considerably more amps. I might revisit the idea of installing 2 awg cables. Once on the road I noticed that the cart seemed to accelerate faster than before, but just slightly and only to a point. The stock top speed was achieved fairly quickly. After that, the cart seemed to just slowly pick up more speed. You could hear the tell tale whine of the motor getting higher and higher pitched as you go. It took a good long stretch to get to where I felt I had reached top end, maybe a few hundred feet on level ground. it is definitely much faster than before, just takes a little bit to get there. No GPS speeds, but in a heads up race a city block long, I can beat our G-19 by a sizable amount, numerous cart lengths, like 10...haha. I know this is kind of a redneck report, but I thought someone might find it useful. All in all, it goes faster and has more power

Here are a couple pics.

SHMO

STOCK CONTROLLER

WHAT YOU GET FROM PLOWMANS

COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO SIZES OF CONTROLLERS

INSTALLED
Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #29
VC-Racing
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Glad you got your cart going. Looks like your stock controller was different than mine.. I finally got to torque test mine over the weekend and its a huge gain over the factory setup.. I can only imagine a sizeable increase in speed and torque with.a motor upgrade ....
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #30
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My understanding is, this controller is solely for stock motors.

SHMO
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha