lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Handicapped Newbie Needs Help on Yamaha Electric Cart

I am disabled with back problems. I also just blew out my knee yesterday and will have surgery now on that.
I sold my sprinkler pipe for my 5 acre pasture and bought a sprinkler system that can be pulled with a golf cart which I can get off and on fairly easy.
I just bought a 1991 Yamaha G8E Electric Golf Cart for this. The cart quits after running just a few minutes even w/o a load. It just stops dead. I can turn the key off, let it sit for about 5 mins then it will start again and go. If I step on the accelerator with the key on after it quits, I hear the solenoid engage or making the clicking sound. After it starts again maybe it will run 5 more mins then it stops for about 5 mins again. I have tested all batteries, checked battery water levels, cleaned all terminals well, checked for loose connections on the motor as well as elsewhere and even replaced battery cables with 2 gauge wire. Has anyone had this problem before?? Can someone please tell me what I might check next? Please! Having livestock and my pasture is one of the last things that I can enjoy doing. Please help me fix my cart by troubleshooting with me.
Thanks much!
moesdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Handicapped Newbie Needs Help on Yamaha Electric Cart

Alright well lets start with the basics...you said you tested the batteries...how did you do this? with a load tester or using the cart itself? Also what year are the batteries...you can tell by looking at the negative post on most....will say something like A1 or C8 where the letter is the month and the number is the year...so A1 would be Jan 2011 battery.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I tested each battery after disconnecting each cable with a new load tester that I bought on eBay. Each battery tested in the "good" zone even when I put a load on each one. Six of the batteries are 3/11 one is 4/10 and one is 11/10. Thank you so much for responding. I have heard that the Yams can be a bugger to troubleshoot. I was just getting ready to order a solenoid and just start replacing the least expensive items first.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The batteries are all Les Schwab deep cell batteries.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok by the solenoid there are two small black boxes in the wiring harness very close to the in-line fuse...these are diodes, you should be able to pull them out of their couplers. Each will have two spades on them...how you test these is as follows...put your meter on ohms and each lead on one of the spades...now reverse the leads(put them opposite the way you had them...you should only get cont. one direction...not both...
Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, I have tested both. One tests 1.379 one direction and the other one tests 1.347 one direction. Neither test both ways.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hello camaroluvz28. Do you recommend that I just bite the bullet and replace the controller as well as the solenoid to solve this? I can buy a new AXE 300 amp controller for $340 and a solenoid for $50. Maybe I can find a used motor that someone has left from an upgrade for not much money. If not then later I could replace mine with a bit larger motor. Mine is a GE/Yamaha motor model 5BC4SJB845 that says it runs at 2450 RPM, amps is 77 and KW = 2.2. I need to be able to pull a K-line irrigation plastic pipe once a day to set my water. The Yam pulls it easily but I do not know if I am overloading it. Please give me your opinion.
Thanks so much for all of your help.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well honestly I would try and put a jumper wire across the two large terminals of the solenoid when the cart stops running, then see if it moves with the jumper...If not then the solenoid isnt your problem and wont need to be replaced...unfortunatley its leaning towards your controller giving out on you and the AXE 300 will give you more torque to pull around rather than sticking to the stock which was just designed for golf....
Old 08-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

What motor would you recommend with the AXE 300 controller to give me a bit more power? Is the existing motor that I mentioned the small motor? If I change the controller then I will replace the solenoid and the motor as well. The solenoid looks real nasty. I like to have my things worry free pretty much.

I just remembered something. The other day I washed the engine compartment off real good with the garden hose and it ran fine for two days w/o quitting. The third day it started quitting again. Is that something that makes sense?

Thanks again so much.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
18booger
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Re: Handicapped Newbie Needs Help on Yamaha Electric Cart

I'm having a similar problem with my 2007 Yamaha factory rebuilt DRE 4x12V Trojan T-1275 batteries. Cart is 26 months old. Very frustrating cause you wonder when it will happen again. Got stranded on the course last week. After hitching a ride and finishing the round went to retrieve the cart and it ran strong/fine. Voltages and meter show good. Had a reliable, well known repair guy come over to load test the batteries. They showed fine. He stated the batteries would not cause the go/no go problem. He thinks there is a weak link with the motor/ controller combination - read a finicky controller. I'm investigating and will post and follow along.

Related question: If I have the Yamaha dealer put the computer on the controller will it have a code that indicates why the stoppage?

Last edited by 18booger; 01-28-2013 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: I've a related question
18booger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed please
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha