lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
hoggin03
Not Yet Wild

Default Need help wiring a voltage reducer on a 48 volt Drive.

I apologize for being so dense, but i dont want to screw anything up. I have an '08 Drive YDRE 48 volt with 4 - 12 volt batteries. I plan to have an accessory outlet, light kit, and radio eventually, so I purchased a voltage reducer (seen below, a picture of installation instructions is in next post) and plan to install it. It is a 25 amp unit.

I have no issue simply wiring it as the instructions say. However, I have read numerous threads here that talk about using fuse blocks and relays. Do I need to or should I do this? I have no problem doing so if it is going to be better that way.

If I am going to use them, can someone explain how I would go about wiring it? I assume that the supply wiring to the voltage reducer would be the same, but instead of hooking the output wires to my accessories, they would go to the fuse block, which is where I would connect my accessories?

I was looking at the Blue Sea ST Blade Fuse Block. Would it work for me?

Again, sorry for all the questions and I really appreciate the help. Hopefully I'll catch on eventually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (165.9 KB, 0 views)
hoggin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
hoggin03
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need help wiring a voltage reducer on a 48 volt Drive.

Picture of directions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (163.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This reducer has a switch circuit so you won't need a relay, just use the key switch where it says switch. (or a 20amp toggle switch)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
hoggin03
Not Yet Wild

Thanks scotty.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No problem, It looks like the yellow is your +12v, that's the one you should run to your fuse block, then feed all the accessories from there...Remember, never use the chassis for a ground wire on an electric cart.
Basically every accessory will have 2 wires going to it, a positive and a negative 12v as shown coming from the reducer in the bottom of the diagram. You can use a simple distribution block for the negative feed.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
hoggin03
Not Yet Wild

So I would just wire a distribution block on the negative post of a battery and run all the accessories' negatives to that? If so, do I need a fuse block with a two bars, or is a single bar ok?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
hoggin03
Not Yet Wild

I've decided to get the Sea Blue fuse block with ground bar to run all my accessory negatives to. My question now is, according to the instructions for my reducer, the black heavier gauge (10 gauge) wire goes to the negative side of the accessory, or in my case the negative input on my wiring block. It also shows the black lighter gauge (14 gauge) wire going to the negative post of my #4 battery. That doesn't make sense to me...shouldn't a wire hooked to the battery be heavier? I'm trying to decide what gauge wire to use for my wiring, and this is tripping me up.

Also, I've attached my (very) rough schematic of the wiring. I have it drawn out as having a separate ground block, but I'll have it on the fuse block. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (192.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
jgolfin
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I just installed mine this winter. I ran all negatives to the negative on 48v pack (first battery on drivers side). I also put a relay between the 48v positive and reducer (fail safe no draw by the reducer). I have light kit and radio hooked together coming off of reducer. Fuse block would work well for positive if I had anymore accessories. Thanks goes to scottyb for finding the wiring instructions on my relay. I have 12g going to my reducer for pos and neg.
jgolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I prefer to minimize the number of battery terminal wire connections. The battery terminal environment is corrosive and stacking multiple connections on a terminal is an open invitation for corrosion to set in.
I prefer to use a distribution block where one 10g lead can supply many smaller connections. This can be mounted away from the batteries.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
hoggin03
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again scotty! Can you answer another one for me? I will run a 10g wire from my battery pack negative to the main post on my grounding block, I will then run all my accessory negatives to it. But is it correct/OK to also run the heavy gauge output negative and lighter gauge input negative from my reducer (both black wires as you see in the attachment) to that same grounding block?

By the way, I REALLY appreciate everyone's help. I'm getting a much better understanding of everything, but still a little gun shy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (171.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha