lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
adrianjudy
Not Yet Wild

Default G19 500a controller upgrade

Before I start, I have searched the forums and can't find a similar situation. Long story short, my stock controller died and I ordered THIS 400amp controller from buggies to get a little performance boost and apparently they say that the controller is not available anymore, so they sent me this THIS 500amp controller. I have a stock motor on a Yamaha g19 and am concerned that the controller will fry my motor. I really don't want to drop another 500-800 bucks on a new motor, so that's not an option. I use my cart for golf and riding around the neighborhood. it is not lifted or modified any other way (except for stereo system and other electronics). I spoke with tech support at buggies but they were not very helpful. after waiting for 40 minutes for someone to pick up the phone, they told me I "should" be ok as long as I don't run wide open for "extended periods of time". they couldn't give me a specific time of what an "extended period of time" is, they said maybe 15-20 minutes. Should I be worried about frying my motor with the 500amp controller and send it back or is anyone else using a 500amp controller with a stock motor? Thanks in advance for your help.
adrianjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
lonewolff
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G19 500a controller upgrade

I've used an Alltrax 500 amp controller on a stock motor G19 cart. Although I only ran the controller around 85% power output.
That would put it around 425 amps... anything higher than that would generate what I felt was too much heat in the motor..
Hope this info helps
lonewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
adrianjudy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks lonewolff, that's what I'm afraid of. I am thinking about swapping it out for an alltraxx 400a controller and get some money back. did you install the alltrax yourself? I am just a little concerned about all of the splicing and connections. I hooked up all of my electronics (radio, speakers, horn, headlights, battery meter) but for some reason I am skiddish about doing this. How bad was it?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

ive done many, its easy, the hardest part is unrolling the tape on the harness. its only 1 wire.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
VC-Racing
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Let'er rip tater chip.......

I have been running a Plowmans 500 amp 2 speed controller on my G22 for almost 2 yrs and had no problems. I tow my Lawnmower ( ZTR) on a trailer 1/2 mile to my club house and also drag my boat (1542 Duracraft w/ 25 Yamaha ) 1/2 mile to my boat landing, launch my boat and pull it back out when I'm done.
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
adrianjudy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the update. I went ahead and bought the alltrax 400a controller and began putting it in last night. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The white/red cable ends up a little short when you splice it, so I went out today and bought some butt-splice connectors to add a little bit of wire in there. I also got hung up on the resistor and diode. I can't believe that they don't send those out with the controller. I was able to pick up the diode at radioshack for $1.50 and I ordered the resistor online, but that would have been good to know up-front as to not hold up the works. I would have been happy to pay an extra 10-15 bucks to make sure I had everything I needed to complete the job in 1 try. Thanks for all of your help!

Tags
500amp, controller, g19, upgrade, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha