lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
tey1967
Getting Wild

Default G1 36v-48v conversion

I am working on a cart for a buddy. He needs new batteries so I suggested buying 6-8v batteries. Any problems with this? Will the wiper arm speed control handle it?

Thanks!
tey1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 36v-48v conversion

I know someone who has done it just by changing the batts and charger to 48v. This works, but is dangerous, if the contactor sticks, you will crash into something or burn to the ground, you will have no way to put it in neutral (keyswitch is also f&r). Even if brakes are able to stop it, the speed control coils will get hot enough for fire. Changing the solenoid is not an option (none available in 48v). I would suggest getting a very heavy duty marine battery disconnect, and install it within reach of drivers seat, so you can shut it down if something goes bad.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
tey1967
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I know someone who has done it just by changing the batts and charger to 48v. This works, but is dangerous, if the contactor sticks, you will crash into something or burn to the ground, you will have no way to put it in neutral (keyswitch is also f&r). Even if brakes are able to stop it, the speed control coils will get hot enough for fire. Changing the solenoid is not an option (none available in 48v). I would suggest getting a very heavy duty marine battery disconnect, and install it within reach of drivers seat, so you can shut it down if something goes bad.
I am sure I could get a 48v solenoid from a Club Car to work just fine. Right?
Old 06-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You appearently have not seen the forward and reverse scheme used for a G1e. Its not so simple. The conatctors are specific to G1 only. Its so bad that when one goes bad, its often not even worth fixing the cart. When you flip the seat up and see the "rats nest" of wires that are supposed to be there you will see what im talking about. You could buy the reversing contactor setup like a 48v parcar uses, but it costs more than the cart is worth, and if you are not familiar with this design, you will be shaking your head asking "why did i take this project on?". Thats why i suggest getting a big emergency disconnect instead.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
tey1967
Getting Wild

well, then 36v it is. Thanks for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha