lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Poor contact

Yesterday I was coming back from a run I make quite often and noticed I didn't seem to have the speed I should have had. Also thought the power was a little low going up the big hill I always have to go up.

I have an 08 drive with 4 12 volt batteries that are only three months old, which is how long I have had this cart.

When I got home I took a look under the seat, and noticed some of the batteries showed corrosion on the positive terminals. When I went to clean them I noticed they were not as tight as the others. They weren't loose, but you didn't have to pull very hard to get them loose. All negative cables were clean and much tighter.

I had charged the cart the night before so I know I was working with what I assumed was a full charge. Would the corrosion cause poor contact which would cut down my power, or would it be a case of poor contact not allowing a full charge on the batteries. Or could both have happened.

I gave it a full charge again last night, and later today I will make the same run to see what happens.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Poor contact

Definatly could be your problem. I recommend tightening the nuts every month when checking water levels.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
reinman88
Gone Wild

Tightening and cleaning seems to have helped. Made the same run today and it was back to normal for speed and climbing ability on the hill.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Lucky you didnt melt a terminal. Sounds like more frequent cleaning is in your future. Might want to try a battery coat, a clear coat, or even a smearing of grease on the terminals (effective, but my least favorite option due to greasy mess every time terminal nuts are checked).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

I'll check on a clear coat. These had some grease on them and it was a mess cleaning. Rather not have to go through that again.

Fortunately they weren't real loose. I didn't pull on the cable before loosening to see if they were loose to wiggle the cable, but I didn't have to pull nearly as hard to loosen the nut as I did with the negative cables. So I suppose you could say they were not as tight rather then call them loose. Either way any looser and it wouldn't have been a good thing.

I've only had this cart a couple months, so I was a bit surprised they were that loose and corroded after such a short period of time. Guess I've gone from adjusting the valves on my gas EZ GO on a quarterly basis to checking my batteries on a monthly basis.

Quick question.

All of my driving is either on a gravel road or dirt farm roads. Which means lots of dust and dirt under the cart. I noticed the batteries are covered with dust and wonder what's the easiest way to clean them all off. Wasn't sure if I can just wash everything off with a hose and water or if I'll short something out with all that juice under the seat.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Baking soda & water to neutralize acid & corrosion, then rinse well with plain water. Not gonna short anything out. Be sure water caps are tight, dont want soda water inside the cells.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Also, don't overfill the batteries, it promotes battery acid getting on to the terminal/cables/nuts and lay's on and around the batteries. Just cover the lead plates by a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch. Don't fill that it would touch the case plastic extrussion that goes into the cell. We use a high pressure washer on the whole car.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
reinman88
Gone Wild

Good to know I can wash the batteries off. They get a lot of dust with all my off road driving. I thought I could wash them to get it all off, but I wasn't sure what would happen if I got too much water on the motor since it's bound to get wet if you wash off the batteries.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Just try to get all the crud with "soda water mix" so you are not spreading corrosive acid to the frame, or anywhere splatters may land. Heres where the water should be ( a ). Only add water to fully charged batteries, unless plates are not covered, then just cover the plates (the electrolyte will increase in volume as charging occurs).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140731_124305_005.jpg (194.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
reinman88
Gone Wild

Thanks, I'll give them a soda water wash this weekend.

Since this is the first weekend of the month, maybe I'll start a first weekend of the month maintenance schedule of washing off batteries, tightening terminals, and checking water levels.

Of course that schedule mat be slightly altered come Jan and Feb when it's probably going to be 0 outside. I'll use my cart all year, so it doesn't sit for the winter. But when 0 I may skip the wash the batteries off part.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha