lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2015, 05:11 AM   #1
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Default Found a G9, let's build it.

I found a g9 at a bone yard yesterday. This is my first Yamaha, so I need some help. I recently just finished up on an 88 ezgo marathon, and decided we needed another cart. I've heard a lot of good things about a Yamaha and have always thought the g9 had a great look to it. Anyway, I'm looking to lift it, tires and wheels, and I'll be building a big block for it. Of course there will be plenty in between those things. So first off, let's talk lift kits. I like a 4" lift on the ezgo but I saw an old post here (Yamaha) talking about not seeing a real difference between an economy 4" and a jakes 6" as far as feel and look on the cart. I like the idea of a better quality kit, but if it's not necessary, I'll use the money somewhere else. Any advice or info is greatly appreciated along the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (197.5 KB, 0 views)
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Found a G9, let's build it.

Go with the Jakes. My opinion is based on having had both on my G2 (same as G9).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Which jakes?
Old 08-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Any Jakes is better than the Econo lift kit. I have the single a-arm version. Main problems i had with econo lift were 22" tires still rub, & lift plates always shifting around (always needed tightening & making rubbing problem worse)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Okay. I've been eyeballing that double a arm deal. I don't think I need to go as far as the long travel.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:31 PM   #6
Morgan44
Gone Wild

The double a arm is called a 7" lift. I don't know that I want go that high. Seems like once I have the power of a vanny that's gonna get dangerous. Is it truly 7"? Anybody have pics of theirs?
Old 08-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

7" isn't bad really. I have 12" of home made lift on my G1 and after making the cart wider it's as stable as can be. I've never felt it unstable even on the trails.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
Morgan44
Gone Wild

What kind of power plant do you have in the g1? Never mind, sorry just saw the 25 kaw in your signature. I've got a pretty strong vanny in my marathon with a 4" lift and I always feel pretty secure. I guess my biggest fear is someone else behind the wheel with the extra lift. I've driven a couple of stockish ezgo with 6" on them, and truthfully I wasn't a big fan. I'm sure other things could be done like better springs and what not and it would improve quite a bit.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I've actually had mine up to about 35mph and with the stock A-arm front end and soft 400EX shocks it gets a bit scary steering wise but never feels tippy.

I am working on a dump box install and front tipping seat base and I'm on the look out for an ATV front end to install on it. Then I'll probably unhook the governor and see how it handles.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do to yours and I'll be watching for updates.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Morgan44
Gone Wild

I'm leaning towards an all sports 7" double a arm lift. Anyone have opinions on them? I talked to them today and was told that they were the original people doin these types of lifts and jakes basically copied theirs. Seemed like a good outfit. True or not?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha