lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #1
DareDog
Getting Wild

Question G16A Gas Motor Battery?

Time for new battery.....what one to buy? Gas G16A. would marine one be good?
DareDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G16A Gas Motor Battery?

yea,,, as long as its 12volt, any will work. i do wonder about the deep cycle bat. though. they do like a little different style of charging the deep cycle charger delivers. not sure the starter/gen/ --on the cart will do well with it,, good luck steve
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Group 24, regular auto battery. The more CCA, the better. I don't think the deep cycle batteries are recommended...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

I've been running a deep cycle for years and haven't had any issues. I like to play the radio for long periods of time.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

little off subject but,,,dave;;; is mr. dillon givin me the finger???????
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfishon View Post
little off subject but,,,dave;;; is mr. dillon givin me the finger???????
I think he may have been flipping off the camera man
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Deep cycle is not good for high draw that is why they are not recommended for starting batteries, the cca is lower. However the gen is not exactly a big high power starter like a car, so likely one would work fine on a cart and hold a little more total power. I see no need for one, not sure its an advantage but possibly. Yami recommends a group 24 it has the posts in the proper place. You can use any battery that fits with posts like that, you may be able to swap the cables if long enough to run them opposite it would not matter, if you had a free battery with the other post location. I bought a marine battery because it has the posts and the studs for a boat, this allows me to hook up accessories to the studs easily. It was $9 more than the cheap universal battery they had (both with a group 24 post layout), it is more cca, it was the best deal at the time, and I can use it in a boat if I need to. Generally the larger the battery the longer it will last you. You can use a little lawn battery if you want but life is short, usually the car battery is the best deal due to popularity and if the cart sits a long time it has a lot of reserve. I ran my cart all fall on a jumper pack because I didn't want to buy a battery if the cart would just sit all winter, bought the marine one in the spring.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Isn't a marine battery a deep cycle battery? My deep cycle battery says marine on it.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
Isn't a marine battery a deep cycle battery? My deep cycle battery says marine on it.
Yes Mike. Deep cycles are good to run things like trolling motors with. They take longer to charge, but hold a deeper charge. That's why they are not good for carts because they really don't get a full charge from the starter/generator.
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
Deep cycle are used for trolling motors, also RVs, golf carts, etc. In marine batteries you have starting batteries and deep cycle that are not starting. Mine is a starting battery, its just like a car battery but has the studs on top and posts.

Deep cycle have thicker plates, they hold more energy, but they also have more resistance to current. That means they can't dole out a big burst of current to start a larger engine for example. They have more resistance to charging as well, so you use a small charge current for a long time to charge them. They can discharge most of their power without damage, while a car battery can be damaged by running it dead too many times.

Trolling motor is a smaller motor, golf cart is larger but look at how many batteries you have for one motor. You have one battery in a car that spins the engine over with the starter that is typically much larger than a trolling motor, it needs a lot of current for a short burst. And the deep cycle marine batteries I have used were not small batteries, they were larger than most car batteries more like a big truck battery, just to run a trolling motor. I know some bass boats have big trolling motors, and ones I saw also have two trolling motor batteries.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha