lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 AM   #1
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Love my new battery caps

Sounds kind of strange … love my wife, love my kids, love my job … love my new battery caps??? Are carts really getting to be an addiction?

My 6 volt US batteries were equipped with Speed Caps (see attached image). I found that some of the speed caps would leak when charging the batteries leaving at a minimum, a very light acid spray on the top of the batteries (evidenced by light bubbling when spraying my batteries down with a baking soda solution). In the extreme case on 2 of my 8 batteries, there was significant battery acid pooling on top the batteries after each charge.

I tried lowering the electrolyte level to ¼” above the plates, and found that the amount of leakage was reduced, but electrolyte was still present on top of the batteries. The lower electrolyte level also resulted in having to top off the cells more frequently to ensure the top of the plates were not being exposed.

Then there was the problem of having to frequently clean the tops of the batteries and the occasional spilling of acid onto the battery support brackets.

And then there was the acid gas smell when charging … and the acid gas corrosion by-products forming on exposed metal surfaces.

I was really starting to hate lead acid batteries!

In another BGW thread (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...yte-level.html), I happened upon Flow Systems USA who are the manufacturer of Water Miser Battery Vent Caps.

According to their website, these vent caps are designed to
- Eliminate the sulfuric acid droplets being carried by the escaping gasses
- Reduce water usage 50 to 60%
- Help maintain the relative specific gravity within battery cells
- Reduce fumes from acid based electrolyte emissions
- Reduce overall maintenance
- Result in batteries that last longer

The “promoted” advantages of these caps sounded too good to be true.

At the recommendation of another BGW member who has these on his cart and confirmed that they work as advertised, I order a set of 24 of the extended height Water Miser Battery Vent Caps and installed them on my cart.

I can honestly say these battery caps are GREAT. In the one month that I have had them, I have experienced:
- No more battery acid discharge – zip – nada – nothing!!
- No more acid gas smell when charging batteries
- No more corrosion products on bare metal surfaces.
- Reduced water usage … I was topping off some cells every 2nd or 3rd charge previously … it is still early days, but water usage is definitely reduced.

I have even increased the electrolyte levels on my batteries to about ¾” above the plates with no problems. The next step will be to run the electrolyte level at ¼” below the sight well as per US Battery recommendations.

These battery caps certainly could be a great solution if you are experiencing any of the above problems. I highly recommend them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Battery Speed Caps.jpg (300.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Water Miser Battery-Vent-Cap-Cut-Away.jpg (280.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7669.jpg (252.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7672.jpg (238.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7674.jpg (182.0 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Love my new battery caps

Keep her workin'!!!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
KarTek
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Thanks for the review. I'll have to look into getting a set for mine when I buy the batteries.
KarTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Please report back again later if these caps are still "the cat's meow."

I'd be interested in getting a set but rather know for sure they really help before dropping $130+ on battery caps.

I really hope they work because I loath cleaning and watering my batteries so often.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
I'd be interested in getting a set but rather know for sure they really help before dropping $130+ on battery caps.
For more feedback from another BGW member look at Post #31 of: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-level-4.html

These appear to be the real deal ... have dried up my batteries COMPLETELY.

There seems to be a number of positive YouTube videos on them as well.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
carl2591
Not Yet Wild

When you say " have dried up my batteries" are you referencing excess water or top or the cell are dry and the battery is TOAST..

how are they working and are you checking water level to make sure they are working.. ?? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
For more feedback from another BGW member look at Post #31 of: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-level-4.html

These appear to be the real deal ... have dried up my batteries COMPLETELY.

There seems to be a number of positive YouTube videos on them as well.
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
When you say " have dried up my batteries" are you referencing excess water or top or the cell are dry and the battery is TOAST..

how are they working and are you checking water level to make sure they are working.. ?? thanks
Yes ... they continue to work fine at keeping the TOPS of my batteries dry ... I used to have electrolyte accumulate on the tops of my batteries when charging ... anywhere from moderate puddling on the worst batteries to minor misting on the least offending batteries. I even tried to run the electrolyte level as low as possible (about 1/4" above the plates), but I still had electrolyte carry over when charging.

Since installing the new battery caps, I have had NO electrolyte accumulation on top of my batteries ... absolutely NONE. And a resulting significant reduction in smell when charging ... likely because of no acid spilling.

I have even done an "equalization" charge with the new caps ... and again NO electrolyte carry over!

I have also increased the fluid level in each cell to about 3/8" below the sight well and it appears that my water additions to the batteries have been reduced, as I flip open and check the electrolyte levels often.

If you are having problems keeping electrolyte inside your cells when charging, these are definitely a great solution.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #8
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I went ahead and ordered some medium caps for my batteries.

Tired on cleaning the top of the batteries off my 2 year old batteries. Hope they help as good as you say.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey! He IS Canadian. We usually give pretty honest [sometimes TOO honest], reports on stuff. If they are not as good as he posted, we will be inclined to track him down and burn down his garage and maybe the house too!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:58 AM   #10
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
I went ahead and ordered some medium caps for my batteries. Tired on cleaning the top of the batteries off my 2 year old batteries. Hope they help as good as you say.
I understand that US Batteries have more problems with leaking battery caps than other battery manufacturers ... it seems to be a chronic problem with them. Makes a guy want to "quit doing acid".

Let us know how your new battery caps perform ... I predict that you will love them too

If not, I read on their website that "all Flow Systems products are 100% unconditionally guaranteed for the period of 1 year from date of purchase" ... so in the very unlikely case they don't work for you, don't come and burn down my barn (as dundeebarnbuggy suggests ), return them and get your money back.

Tags
acid, battery, cap
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts