lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
whtevr53
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 backfires

Cart was running fine except for having to replace the starter generator. Installed a rebuilt starter generator and now it back-fires and sputters all the time.
whtevr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 backfires

Make sure the carb. throttle is completely closing when you let off the pedal. You may be missing the return spring on the throttle as well. If it is doing this during normal operation all the time, make sure the air box is completely sealed and the spacer between the carb. and intake isn't cracked: possible air leak.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
whtevr53
Not Yet Wild

Initially I completely cleaned the carb. no help. Installed another carb that I knew was good. No help. Had already checked the carb spacer. No prob. It backfires when trying to accelerate. If I run the engine real slow, not bad. As soon as I try to give it gas is when the sputtering and backfiring occurs.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Try adjusting the valves. .004 with the piston at top dead center and cold.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
cart de golf
Gone Wild

the ground wire going from your generator to you selenoid might have to be replace also make sure the aur box makes a perfect seal

try using the choke see if it runs better with the choke
cart de golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
whtevr53
Not Yet Wild

Thanks much for your replys. I'll pull the wires & do a resistance check on all. Using the choke doesn't help. This is what I've done so far: drained the gas tank, replaced filter, fresh gas. Swapped carb - no help. Replaced ignitor - no help. Changed spark plug & gapped (.030) with new one 3 times already. Did resistance checks on ignition coil/spark plug cap & pick-up coil - sat. Adjusted valves to .1mm (.004") when cold @ TDC. Checked all wiring for good connections - appears fine. Was going to do vacuum test to see if I had a valve sticking but don't see anywhere I tap off of carb. Tryed running engine with muffle removed in case it was clogged - still backfires. Pulled fuel line to carb - flow looks good.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

With everything you've done, it sounds like possibly a valve problem.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
whtevr53
Not Yet Wild

Is there any way to test for a sticking valve before I pull the head?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
whtevr53
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the belt off the starter generator (SG) and hooked-up a jumper between the SG and battery. The SG ran fine. Then I wired in the starter solenoid. The SG would pulse - run for about 2 seconds, stop for a about a second, run for about 2, etc. I figured it was the accelerator switch or starter solenoid. Checked accelerator switch - ok. Replaced the starter solenoid with a new one. No help.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
North Star Golf Car
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Did you resolve the issue? if so how? Im in the same boat.
North Star Golf Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha