lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
mjrowley
Gone Wild

Default Why would i have suction on the exaust side of my FE290?

In case you didn't know cart died one day. It turns over but will not fire.

Tore it all apart, cleaned up everything, carb, gas tank, etc.

Looks like i have good spark now and fuel seems to be good.

My exhaust pipe is off, so when i was cranking the motor i put my hand over the exhaust port,and i noticed that it had suction, and then i put my had on the air intake and i had air coming out of it.

What would cause that?
mjrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Why would i have suction on the exaust side of my FE290?

Sounds as though you might have burnt / lost an exhaust valve Mj, I have never seen anyone describe it the way you did but could it be that a damaged exhaust valve is drawing in air as the piston goes down and be transferring it across to the intake side ? If you can get the engine to TDC and introduce compressed air via the spark plug hole this will give you the answer as to a possible damaged valve since the air would be expelled through whichever port has a problem. You will need to hold the Engine static for that test since the air will try to push the piston down. Another way would be to do a compression test.
Good luck and don't forget to post your findings

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

a dumb question is it spinning the right direction?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
mjrowley
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
Sounds as though you might have burnt / lost an exhaust valve Mj, I have never seen anyone describe it the way you did but could it be that a damaged exhaust valve is drawing in air as the piston goes down and be transferring it across to the intake side ? If you can get the engine to TDC and introduce compressed air via the spark plug hole this will give you the answer as to a possible damaged valve since the air would be expelled through whichever port has a problem. You will need to hold the Engine static for that test since the air will try to push the piston down. Another way would be to do a compression test.
Good luck and don't forget to post your findings

Chris.

What is A TDC?

I have a big air compressor so i can try putting air in the intake side.

As for is it rotating the correct way? I guess so i dont know how it would not be. Then again im a novice at these things...
Old 08-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

TDC = Top dead centre, the point where the piston is at the very top of its travel and both valves are closed every other revolution of the engine.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Boris
DELETED

Doah! ........ try readjusting the valves

Last edited by Boris; 08-15-2010 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Homer because I didn't read FE290
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
mjrowley
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
TDC = Top dead centre, the point where the piston is at the very top of its travel and both valves are closed every other revolution of the engine.

Chris.
What do I need to remove? The valve cover? I have a PDF of the service manual.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Re: Why would i have suction on the exaust side of my FE290?

You said you tore it all apart. How far apart is "all apart"? You could have gotten your valve timing 180 degrees out of sync. Or hooked up the starter/generator wrong. This is not a put down, however, you sound like somewhat of a novice mechanic. Engine overhauls are not normally done by a novice, at least not successful rebuilds. Many very bad things can happen to the inside of your engine simply because of little things you did or didn't do. A few quick examples, any dirt or grit in the wrong place on re-assembly can cause major damage in a few seconds on startup (a clean work bench is a must), failing to prelube can cause damage, over tightening or under tightening, etc etc etc. If you're really tearing the engine all apart, get some expert help on site or this could cost a pile of money before your done. We can't begin to tell you everything you need to know to correctly overhaul a engine if you have little experience in this area. If you went to the Club Car dealer and needed to buy a motor, I think you're looking at about $1600.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
mjrowley
Gone Wild

Looks like one of the Collete came of the valve on the Intake side. its down in the rod hole. ill get a magnet to pull it out tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
mjrowley
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrowley View Post
Looks like one of the Collete came of the valve on the Intake side. its down in the rod hole. ill get a magnet to pull it out tomorrow.
Got the Valves put back together. I had to take the nut and adustment bolt out of the rocker arm to the rod in and to compress the spring enough to install the collets.

How can i tell if they are to the proper adjustment?

Put it all back together and now i dont have much of a spark. So im thinking my Coil/initer is bad.

Put the exhaust back on, but not air filter.

I had air blowing out of the air intake, So took the valve cover off and they were ok.

So is my timing way off? if so how do i fix it?

I still need to to the air test as suggested above.

Thanks Guys!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car