lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
djbarryman
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 Ezgo secondary clutch or rear axle issue

New around these parts and glad to have an active group of experts to ask!!

Issue is my 1990 EZGO buggy. Heard a few snaps, dings, and pops and lost the drive function on this cart. The motor starts perfectly and the primary clutch engages fine. I took off the belt thinking that since it was down to an inch and 1/16", that it needed replaced.

Found out however, that the secondary clutch just spins in both directions (by hand of course) and the rear end/wheels don't move. I tried a spinning a fellow campers '89 ezgo which is a sister cart of mine and that secondary didn't just free-wheel like mine. In the past, spinning the secondary in any direction caused the cart to walk...now, it just doesn't do anything but spin.

Thinking its either a secondary clutch that needs replaced or a buggered up/broken axle in the rearend.

Thanks and any ideas?
djbarryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 Ezgo secondary clutch or rear axle issue

The axle input shaft is splined so it is unlikely that the clutch is slipping in the shaft.

Is the bolt head the holds the secondary clutch on spinning as well? If so, it sounds like some of the teeth on the axle gears are stripped.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
djbarryman
Not Yet Wild

The bolt head on the secondary is turning when I spin the secondary. The sounds the buggy made were metallic when it quit and broke. So you would be leaning towards yacked up gears in the rear axle then...
Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The bolt is threaded into the shaft- so if the bolt is turning, then the input shaft is turning... which is bad news.

Next, you could drop the rear axle "oil pan" and look for chunks of metal in the bottom of it- that would mean one of the upper gears is stripped.

The best case scenario is that one of the axle shafts worked loose from the outside hub by stripping the splines or shearing a key (I'm not sure how they are joined). That repair would likely be less $ than buying another whole rear axle assembly...
Old 09-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

HOLD ON here fellas, the rear hub assembly is splined also, the spline always goes out on ezgo, if you have hub caps on the back wheels take them off, have someone try to run the cart, look at the axle shafts and see if one of the axle shafts are spinning inside the hub, axle spins hub dont = need new hub, let me know............, been there done that 100 times
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
djbarryman
Not Yet Wild

The rearend is doing nothing... spinning the clutches, either primary or secondary, in the past has caused the cart to "walk" in the spin direction. Now it does nada, zip, a big fat "zero" when you spin the secondary. I have the drive belt off to change it. The secondary spins way to easy as well. I think I am in over my head on a rearend as I have never torn one apart. I was hoping for a quick easy remedy that wasn't serious bucks but it looks like this is either 80 bucks for an axle or a couple hundred for a set of gears.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Put it on stands and remove the rear cover put a drain pan under it. If in fact it's the gears you'll see metal pieces or shiny oil there is your problem if not spin the clutch have some one watch both axles you may have just stripped a hub and that would be good news.Let us know.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Did you check to see if the splines are stripped on one of the hubs on the rear axles?? Still waiting to see if its a stripped rear hub, I`ve replaced dozens
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
djbarryman
Not Yet Wild

I am taking the cart to a buddy's house tomorrow and we are going to pull the diff cover and check what has been suggested thus far. Once I have more answers to the "did you check" questions, I shall of course blab it here! Thanks again for the helpful guidance.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

RSP makes a good point- it might be easier to pop the rear hub covers off and see if either of the axles spins when the driven clutch is rotated. This would be good news- you would just need to replace that one stripped hub.

You will also be able to determine the cause if you pull off the pan- but it may be a little harder than removing the hub covers (my pan was stuck pretty good when I pulled it off last week to change my rear axle oil).

Tags
1990, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO