lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
als
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Jumps into reverse while traving forwards

Ok got this 2000 EZ GO TXT SN # 1322038 that while traveling forwards will intermittently just go into reverse! You talk about stopping fast!!!.
Anyway thought it had to be the directional switch so it was replaced but no change. Any ideas what to check out next?

Thanks in advance for any help received.
als is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Jumps into reverse while traving forwards

Which drive system is it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo-guide-#2.jpg (139.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If what you said was the model# is actually the Serial#, it is a 2000 TXT PDS.

Does it actually start backing up, or does it just stop quickly?

If any of the control voltage inputs (Keyswitch, F/R or Reed switch) to a PDS controller is interrupted, even for a split second, the controller applies 100% regen braking until the cart stops.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
als
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Johnnieb - Sorry yes that is the serial number. I made the correction above.
As to the second portion of your response. When the problem occurs the back up alarm comes on and the brakes are put on quickly to try to prevent any damage, so I don't know if it will actually back up but will go out and try to get it to act up and see.

Scottyb - Sorry but I am not sure what you are asking. It is an electric cart.
als is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:15 AM   #5
kpauley
Gone Wild

Take a look at the image that Scotty had attached to his post, it tells you how to identify the type of cart drive system that it has.
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by als View Post
1. Johnnieb - Sorry yes that is the serial number. I made the correction above.
2. As to the second portion of your response. When the problem occurs the back up alarm comes on and the brakes are put on quickly to try to prevent any damage, so I don't know if it will actually back up but will go out and try to get it to act up and see.

3. Scottyb - Sorry but I am not sure what you are asking. It is an electric cart.
1. Plug the serial# into this website and it will tell you your cart was a TXT (Plastic) body style with factory installed lights and a PDS (Precision Drive System) when it left the factory in 2000: https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html

3. EZGO electric carts have either Series wound motors or SepEx (Separately Excited) motors (Or AC motors in later years). And there were two different types of SepEx drives, DCS and PDS. So Pre-2008 EZGO electric carts had one of three drive systems and AC drives were introduced in 2008, so there are four and all of the act differently and the type drive is needed to troubleshoot the symptoms.

2. I suspect the beeper is sounding a series of short, rapidly repeating, beeps rather than the continuous beep of the back-up alarm. If so, you probably just have a loose connection someplace.

The three most likely suspects are Reed switch, F/R switch and Key switch and the wires/connectors attached to them.

The first thing I would do is hard wire the small red wire that attaches to the small white wire coming out of the charge receptacle as shown in the attached picture. This bypasses the Reed switch, which was eliminated by EZGO in later years because it was a high failure item that left people stranded out in the middle of nowhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
kpauley
Gone Wild

I was messing with that reed switch last night on my cart. What is it's function? I know it is triggered by the magnet in the plug on the charger, but there is the other sense wire on the other side of the plug as well. Wasn't quite sure what this is doing.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The reed switch is an safety switch, basically when the charger plug is inserted the magnet opens the switch so there is no power to the F&R micro, key, etc.

I was asking you to look at the flow chart I posted and ID the cart drive system which Johnnie has identified as a PDS via serial number look up. However- PDS as we know it today originated in 2001, so this maybe the ******* system if the cart model # ends in 00. Can you give us the controller model #?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpauley View Post
I was messing with that reed switch last night on my cart. What is it's function? I know it is triggered by the magnet in the plug on the charger, but there is the other sense wire on the other side of the plug as well. Wasn't quite sure what this is doing.
There are three separate circuits at the charge plug/receptacle interface.
1. Charging loop. The two heavy wires that connect the charger to the battery pack that the ~20A charging current flows through.

2. Battery sense circuit. Auxiliary contact in the plug touches the outside of the negative female Radsok, completing the battery voltage sensing loop of the control board in the charger. In many chargers, the battery pack voltage is sensed completely inside the charger and the Auxiliary contact in the plug isn't used.

3. Reed switch. This supplies a positive voltage to the solenoid activation circuit in series and DCS carts, and tells a PDS controller to allow the solenoid to be activated. As mentioned, a magnet in the charger's plug open the reed switch, disabling the cart so it cannot be driven away with the charger plugged into it. Someplace around 2008, EZGO stopped using it and many cart owners bypass it when it fails, or before it fails.

Again, these are three separate circuits.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #10
kpauley
Gone Wild

Hmm, interesting that it is a safety switch. Mine seems to be working (I was testing it the other day), but must not be working completely because my wife pulled the charger off the wall one time :-) Sounds like that is what it is trying to prevent but it didn't work.... Sorry for the hijack, but thanks for the info!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO