lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #1
superair
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default old cart, need torque

Ok guys, as the title states I have a 1990 marathon resistor cart and need some advice on upgrades to do what I want with it. I have ordered and will be installing a Jake's 4 " lift kit tomorrow and also 22" tires on 10" rims. I am going to use this around the house for mainly transporting people and gas down to my boat dock which is at the bottom of a hill that has about a 30deg incline and is about 60ft long. I have also a new resistor board coming Monday so I will be installing that then. Ok so here are my questions:
I used to run a car audio shop so I have some 1 guage 1000 strand power cable laying around that I plan to install ends on and use for battery cables. Now do I just put them on to the resistor block or do I change all the cables down to the relay and motor with this heavy guage cable?
also for what I want to do with it what should I do to the motor and any other power upgrades to get this much torque? Should I leave it 36v or change to a higher battery voltage? Run time is not my most important thing but I would not like to have to charge it after each trip either.
superair is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: old cart, need torque

This post is sorta like a can of worms. The resistor coil carts were good for the game of golf but not more strenuous activities. They tend to melt the speed wiper board under heavy load.
Later models had solid state speed control to eliminate this problem and to increase safety, control, and efficiency.
Those bigger tires will increase the final gear ratio about 22%. COmbined with the 30% slop and hauling stuff I would say you are going to have trouble with both the F&R and speed wiper getting too hot. I think an update is needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Are you sure it is 30 degrees that is pretty steep like if the minute hand were were at 8.
However a resistor cart on inclines with big tires is asking for trouble
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
superair
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll check the slope tomorrow. It is pretty steep. I currently use my Arctic Cat side by side. So if I upgraded to a solid state controller, would that be the way to go?
superair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are three ways of expressing the steepness of an incline and two of the three have been mentioned in this thread. The attached chart may help everybody to get on the same page.

A 30° incline is roughly a 58% grade and a 30% grade is roughly a 16° incline, both of which are steeper than the 14° incline (25% grade) recommended for a stock TXT and Medalist. I don't know what it is for a Marathon, but suspect it would be the same or less.

Setting aside the steepness for the moment, to carry a load or to climb a hill, you need torque and when you combine the two, you need even more torque and the 4" increased tire height reduces the available torque where rubber meets road by about 20%, so the upgrades will have to overcome that also.

Converting the resistor cart to a controller cart is just the starting point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hill Grade Conversion Chart.JPG (71.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

RE: Can of worms.

******* WARNING OPINION ZONE ************

Sorry to give you the bad news.... but here it is.

THIS IS THE WRONG CART FOR THIS APPLICATION.

You will dump money and effort into this cart to make it work.
many if not all listed items must be changed or upgraded

1) controller
2)motor
3)voltage upgrade
4)new charger
5)gear ratio change
6)high current wires

You should seriously consider a newer cart.
A stock RXV will climb most hills and carry/pull a reasonable load.
RXV's are available used at reasonable cost.. You MIGHT be able to sell lifted cart
and with money from selling cart + $$$$ from upgrade budget get RXV.

If You go RXV route, to keep torque high stay with close to stock size tires.
Also- lifting RXV's is generally not needed. The cart is fast (19mph)
and can flip easily if lifted.
Accessories such as rear flip seats,tops,lights and many others easily available.

******** END OPINION ZONE **********

My opinion -- others can and will disagree... no hard feelings either way
GOOD LUCK !!!!
Keep us posted !!!!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I agree a Marathon Resistor cart may be the wrong cart for the application, but I'm not sure an RXV is the right one.

The recommended max incline for an RXV is 14° (25% grade) just like it is for a TXT and Medalist, whose controllers and motors can be upgraded (and the rest of the drive system) to climb steeper inclines with heavy loads, while there isn't much, if anything, that can be done (at the present time) to an RXV to change its intrinsic (stock) limitations, other than put smaller diameter tires on it to increase the effective torque while sacrificing top speed, or larger diameter tires to increase top speed while sacrificing torque.

If the incline is, in fact, about 30° (58% grade), I would start with a TXT with a series drive, up the pack voltage to 48V, up the high current cables to 2Ga (or thicker), up the controller to about 500A (SPM48500?), replace the mechanical F/R switch with a reversing contactor, stick with 18" (or shorter) tires, install a high-torque motor and possibly drop the differential gears from 12.44:1 to 14.92:1, or install a two speed differential (20:1 & 10:1 ratios).

Lots of upgrade options vs next to none, and the project might come in less than the price of an RXV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV max grade.jpg (78.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I agree a Marathon Resistor cart may be the wrong cart for the application, but I'm not sure an RXV is the right one.

The recommended max incline for an RXV is 14° (25% grade) just like it is for a TXT and Medalist, whose controllers and motors can be upgraded (and the rest of the drive system) to climb steeper inclines with heavy loads, while there isn't much, if anything, that can be done (at the present time) to an RXV to change its intrinsic (stock) limitations, other than put smaller diameter tires on it to increase the effective torque while sacrificing top speed, or larger diameter tires to increase top speed while sacrificing torque.

If the incline is, in fact, about 30° (58% grade), I would start with a TXT with a series drive, up the pack voltage to 48V, up the high current cables to 2Ga (or thicker), up the controller to about 500A (SPM48500?), replace the mechanical F/R switch with a reversing contactor, stick with 18" (or shorter) tires, install a high-torque motor and possibly drop the differential gears from 12.44:1 to 14.92:1, or install a two speed differential (20:1 & 10:1 ratios).

Lots of upgrade options vs next to none, and the project might come in less than the price of an RXV.
No Argument with any point given.

"The recommended max incline for an RXV is 14° (25% grade) just like it is for a TXT and Medalist"

We have made an entire WEBSITE devoted to ignoring the Manufacturers
performance specifications. .

Stuff that may make the difference.

1) we are not sure grade is as steep as given.
2) Price / availability of RXV in good condition

I always recommend test driving a cart at the site or a close approximation
to make sure it will perform as required.

This application sounds EXACTLY like one where a weekend rental of a cart
would be well worth the money. Or maybe get seller to bring cart and let you drive on hill with load or trailer or whatever.

While there are no RXV torque upgrades, we have had no issues with hills and feedback on this site is very favorable when RXV's are used as hunting buggies.

Example----
----------------------------------------
"BGW -- grassflatsfisher

Haven't read every post but I went through all the same problems you are having with my 02 PDS. It was also a hunting cart and we have some significant hills etc to go up and down also. My original motor had a broken field wire from where the cart had been wrecked prior to me getting it. I sent the motor to plumquick and got one of their purple motors. It lasted about a month before buring it up. It was a great motor, it just wasn't made to creep around the camp with people, gear, and dead deer on the back. I ended up getting a d&d and it lasted about 2 days of turkey hunting before melting down. Again, just think the application was wrong. I then said enough is enough and bought the $100 kit to convert my cart from a PDS to a Series cart. Basically it was the fwd rvs knob, linkage, and Fnr switch itself in the kit...super easy install. I upgraded the buss bars in the factory fnr switch, new hd solenoid, new 500amp Alltrax, and a EMP 2 Speed series motor. Cart has run like a dream ever since. It has never over heated and will pull wheelies in torque mode. On high setting it runs about 20mph and on torque mode it tops out at 12mph which is perfect for hunting. I ended up selling it to a buddy of mine last year and he has run it the last 2 hunting season with no problems as well. Everyone in his camp wants to build one just like it because its faster and has a ton more power than any of theirs.

Although I do love that cart I upgraded to a 2011 RXV recently and I can not tell you how awesome this cart has been in the woods. It has taken me a little work to get all the squeeks and cracks out but now that I have it quieted down I feel like a ninja going in and out of my camp now. Matter of fact, its first 4 trips in the woods it hauled out 3 8pts and a big 7pt. And should have been a 5th 8pt I shot with my bow but ended losing on a neighbors property. Coincidence? Maybe...we had a crazy good rut this year. It runs 27mph top end and creeps along great with ZERO heating issues. The little bit of regen it has is perfect for going down hills. You basically get the speed where you want it and hold the pedel there and it stays at that speed. Plenty of torque and takes hills like their nothing. The DC/AC system is very efficient and goes forever on a charge compared to my other txt carts from the past. Very happy to say the least. Can't wait to chase A few long beards around next month."
----------------------------------------

As to cost.....????????
Too many variables.
I have no financial interest in this cart one way or the other, so my
comments are just an opinion (insert every opinion joke here) based on
very little hard info and no real knowledge of the intended use or needs of the owner.

At best i am offering a WAG.

AGAIN---

I am in no way saying JohnnieB is wrong!!!!
The Non RXV carts have a much wider Selection of drive system upgrades.
There are basically NO RXV drive upgrades.
We just don't know if stock RXV will do the job in this case.
Only way to be sure is try it.

Good Luck !!!!
Keep us Posted.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
We have made an entire WEBSITE devoted to ignoring the Manufacturers
performance specifications. .
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My series in my sig has never let me down, but it couldn't touch my Workhorse in mud and snow, with the governor basically turned off. Slow and fast, but noisy.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO