lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
jallen28145
Not Yet Wild

Default Cables get HOT!

Hey guys, I bought an 89 Club Car DS with vglide and 5 resistors. Put new batteries in and replaced a couple burnt cables, both on the batteries and one going to A1 (if I remember correctly) on the motor. The cart runs good, plenty of power and speed, but the cables get hot! I found a loose post on A1 and tightened it up, but the battery cables and the cables going to the F/R switch get real hot, so hot you can smell the burning smell. Cart doesn't lose power or anything. I went to my local welding shop and got new 5 new 4G welding cables made for the batteries, and 3 41" long 4G wires made for the motor, but should I change the cables going the F/R switch also? Do those carry 36v? What would cause all the heat? I know the resistors get hot when not wide open but these cables get so got you almost can't touch them. Cart is stock but has a small lift and slightly oversize tires, not much bigger than factory. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!
jallen28145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cables get HOT!

Quote:
Cart is stock but has a small lift and slightly oversize tires, not much bigger than factory. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!
Your drive system can't handle the load. Yes, FnR carries pack voltage.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should change all high-amperage cables, which were the ones originally 6ga.

Make sure you get the small ring terminals (1/4" or #10 stud size) on the 2 ends that connect to the FNR switch swivel terminals.

Also remember that unlike a controller cart, at WOT the batteries are directly connected to the motor.

If You press the pedal too quickly, and the motor is not rotating fast enough yet, the current could be in excess of 500amps (more than any controller would allow).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
jallen28145
Not Yet Wild

So you're saying that a DS with this system is incapable of handling a slight lift and slightly larger tires? I thought this was a very common setup on a lot of earlier DS carts. That was not what I was expecting to hear. Anyone else have any input?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen28145 View Post
So you're saying that a DS with this system is incapable of handling a slight lift and slightly larger tires? I thought this was a very common setup on a lot of earlier DS carts. That was not what I was expecting to hear. Anyone else have any input?
Yes; what are the condition of the contacts inside the F&R switch? They carry LOAD and if not in good shaped cause resistance and resistance causes HEAT...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
jallen28145
Not Yet Wild

F/R switch looks good and functions as it should. Should I pull it apart and try to clean the contacts? Are they visible without removing the switch? I am not with the cart at the moment. Thanks for the help/replies.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Resistor coil carts were engineered to carry 2 people 300 yards down a groomed pathway and left to cool while the player plays and repeat. To do this they used inexpensive 1950s resistor coil technology.
It works for it's intended use so well it was used on the courses until 2003. The system has it's limits. Bigger tires, rear seats, off road or extended time use, virtually anything that increases the load increases the heat and the heat will usually melt the F&R or Vglide.
We make a conversion kit to solid state electronics. See website links below.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car