lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Need Advice On Non Golf Cart 12V Batteries

I have a houseboat on a lake and the batteries are getting old age wise. The "house" battery that is a 27 size deep cycle is 8 years old. The two smaller batteries for the two V-8 engines are a bit newer and are deep cycle also since they are wired to bilge pumps.

I don't have anyway to performance test these and I would just like to replace them for peace of mind. I haven't bought batteries for many years. My options are Autozone, Advance Auto, NAPA and Costco. And there is a marine dealer near the lake that carries Interstate.

I realize that this is a non-golf cart post but I really appreciate the battery expertise for batteries here. So, my basic question is are any of these brands better than other or a better bang for the buck?
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Need Advice On Non Golf Cart 12V Batteries

check out Wal-mart also
I think Wal-Mart batteries are produced by Exide
Old 04-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

And if you're looking for cheap, Rural King (if there's one near you, I know it isn't among your listed options) has cheap batteries. You get what you pay for though.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

I don't have a lot of input on brands of batteries but I did want to say that you can test all three batteries with what you have on hand (as long as you have a DVM). In my opinion the best way to check a battery is to run it under the load it will normally see. For you house battery turn on everything you can and max out its load while monitoring voltage, if it holds the load and keeps 12plus to 11.9 under load volts it might be fine for another few years. Your motor batteries can be tested in a similar fashion, read the lowest voltage while cranking the motor, if they hold 11 to 11.9 they might be good to go.

With that said, I will repurpose batteries that are critical for operation such as your boat batteries. If I put a new battery in the boat and the old one has some life left, it might get gate opener duty for several more years, or take a new home as an auxiliary battery in a cart.

If you want to replace them for peace of mind by all means get some fresh lead. Two of the oldest cart batteries I have are serving auxiliary battery duty and doing it well.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

I may be mistaken, but I believe all of the brands you listed are made in Mexico by Johnson controls. Compare specs and buy the least expensive one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I may be mistaken, but I believe all of the brands you listed are made in Mexico by Johnson controls. Compare specs and buy the least expensive one.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In addition to what I listed I also have Walmart and Tractor Supply as possible sources.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

BCI size is just the case dimensions (Width, Length and Height), which has little to do with AH capacity other than only so much lead can be packed in a certain sized box.

I'd get the heaviest batteries that would fit is the space available. (Heavier = higher storage capacity)

You probably want true a deep cycle battery for the hotel load and marine batteries for the ones that start the engines and run the bilge pumps.

Highest storage capacity (AH) at the lowest price from a local vendor tends to be the best bang for the buck.

-------------
FWIW: I special ordered my Exide batteries through a local farm supply (Rural King).

Last edited by JohnnieB; 04-07-2015 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO