lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Charger Problem - Not Shutting Off

OK - so I checked the sensing circuit and it appears to transmit the pack voltage to the board.

I'm guessing my next step is to replace the board. But I would like to hook up the relay, just to see what will happen. As mentioned. I hear a click of some kind after plugging it into the cart.

But - how do I know which terminals on the relay to connect the wires to? Does it matter? I'll need to know this even if I purchase a new board.
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #12
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

I got impatient so I took a risk.

I routed the wiring back through the relay. It clicked when plugged into the cart (no AC), and the cart is now charging when AC is applied. I may get lucky here. I’m hoping that maybe the old owner bypassed the relay because of some faulty/old batteries - and when he bought new ones, forgot to put things back as they should be.

Does that make any sense? From what I have learned here, if the charger wouldn't turn off, the solution would not be to bypass the relay. Right? The only reason to bypass the relay is if it wouldn't turn on. Right?

But - too early to count my chickens - the problem was that it wouldn’t turn off. But the amps are going down as it charges, the sensing circuit appeared to be working - so in a few hours I should know the answer. Right?

Fingers Crossed Emoticon here.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #13
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Looks like you found the problem.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:05 AM   #14
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Looks like you found the problem.
Thanks for everyone's help - yes I did.

Just went to check after about 4 hours and the charger was off. It was already close to a full charge when I started, and the amp meter had dropped to 5 amps after about 45 mins - so it probably turned off a while ago.

We will never know why a perfectly good relay was bypassed, but my explanation above makes the most sense to me. I hope you would all agree since that would mean I understand what was going on.

This is the second situation where you guys saved me a lot of money, and got me up and running while teaching me some things I can use in the future.

Thanks a million.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I got shanghaied by SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) yesterday afternoon, but it sounds like you figured it out and fixed it.

Your reasoning about why the previous owner bypassed the relay is most likely correct. It is the cart's battery pack the closes the relay initially.

About your question: "But the amps are going down as it charges, the sensing circuit appeared to be working - so in a few hours I should know the answer. Right?"

Sounds like you share the widely spread misconception that the "Control" board controls the charger. All the control board is, is a semi-smart On/Off switch. If the pack voltage is high enough, it turns on the charger, when the on-charge voltage climbs to a preset voltage in the 44V to 46V range it shuts off the charger and if the pack voltage doesn't not reach the preset voltage in about 16 hours, it shuts off the charger.

The charger consists of a ferroresonant transformer and capacitor along with a pair of diodes. The transformer and capacitor react to the on-charge voltage to limit the amps to about 20A initially and then tapers off as the on-charge voltage climbs to a amp rate that won't cook the battery.

The earliest versions of this type charger (that I know of) had a mechanical timer. Attached are three examples.

-----------
If you look at the top of the page, you'll notice the word Donate on the top menu bar.

A few dollars of the money the BGW forum has saved you will get you some gold stars under your name and help keep the forum on-line.

Disclaimer: I have no financial or managerial interests in the BGW forum or any of its site sponsors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Textron - Timer.jpg (138.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Grey manual charger Face-plate .jpg (86.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Face-plate 0620121048-00.jpg (68.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

JB - I value every tidbit of knowledge. You never know when the pieces will fit together to supply a valuable answer. So thanks once again.

I own and operate a couple of forums myself - dedicated to growing and landscaping with tropical plants. So I know how important and appreciated it is when people help finance keeping it on line. After ten years, I am almost breaking even. It is not easy. Maintaining the software/server, while keeping all the spammers and scammers away, is a formidable job. The web master here should also be thanked for a well run forum.

Equally (if not more) important is having Users like you who spend copious amounts of their time to keep things active and worthwhile. I know the web master/owner is very appreciative of you and the others who unselfishly share their time and knowledge.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO