lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Turquoisgoldie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Forward/Reverse lever

i have a 96 ez go electric we have just a cpl weeks ago replaced the f/r assembly, seems like the lever is getting hard to move. It was fine at first and today seemed very tight. Is that bolt on the back of the assembly something we have loosen all the time or what?
Turquoisgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Forward/Reverse lever

Most likely your FNR switch is dirty. Pull it apart, clean the contacts and use a liberal application of dielectric grease on the pivot shaft and contacts. Hosing it down with WD-40 may loosen it up for a while, but will require fairly frequent reapplication.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The nut on the back is intended to be "bottomed out", not loosened to suit the tastes of the operator. Heavy duty switches are usually harder to move than stock ones. If it is too stiff, it is likely dirty or needing lubrication. On second thought, maybe i'll go loosen my battery cable nuts, so they will be easier to check (just kidding, dont do that either).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
Turquoisgoldie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: Forward/Reverse lever

Thank you guys..
I have another question.. Someone told me to take off at full throttle to cause less strain on the motor is this true? And she said to keep it plugged in all the time, when not in use that is..lol
Turquoisgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquoisgoldie View Post
Thank you guys..
I have another question.. Someone told me to take off at full throttle to cause less strain on the motor is this true? And she said to keep it plugged in all the time, when not in use that is..lol
don't laugh......as that is the CORRECT way to do it. so that you can get the most of your batteries, and make them last longer. you need to read these two pages and commit them to memory.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Tutorial.html

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquoisgoldie View Post
Thank you guys..
I have another question..

1. Someone told me to take off at full throttle to cause less strain on the motor is this true?

2. And she said to keep it plugged in all the time, when not in use that is..lol
1. That someone must sell motors.
Applying max available power to the motor from a standstill is one of the worst things that can be done to it.
At zero RPM, the motor will draw all the amps the battery pack will produce and the cables will carry. The amps not converted to torque are converted to heat and electric motors aren't very efficient at low RPM. Typically less than 50% at 1,000 RPM and less.

It is easier on the motor to push the throttle to the floor with deliberate speed rather than slamming it.

In fact, most controllers have something called a throttle up ramp that slows how fast the PWM duty cycle output to the motor goes from 0% to 100%, no matter how suddenly the pedal is slammed to the floor. In user programmable controllers, the up ramp is adjustable.

2. True, if you have a charger that float charges. Almost as true, if your charger doesn't float charge.

Cart should be plugged in after each use. Or at least at the end of the day if used that day.

If your charger goes into a float charge mode at the regular charge cycle finishes, like the ones I use, if the cart isn't moving, the charger is plugged into it and the battery pack is maintained at 100% SoC.

If your charger does not have a float charging feature, it should be plugged in after each use, but once the charge cycle finishes, the charger is no longer charging the batteries and the batteries start to self-discharge at about 1% SoC per day.

Some chargers self initiate a charge every month or so and others self initiate a charge when the pack voltage drops below some predetermined voltage, but most don't have those features, so it really doesn't matter much if the chargers without float charging are left plugged into cart or not, after the charge cycle finishes.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Some chargers self initiate a charge every month or so and others self initiate a charge when the pack voltage drops below some predetermined voltage, but most don't have those features, so it really doesn't matter much if the chargers without float charging are left plugged into cart or not, after the charge cycle finishes.

Many of the OEM chargers claim to have those features, and many of those carts still come in with flat batteries when the snowbirds come back to town. Either the feature didnt work, or the charger wasnt plugged in while they were gone. Hard to pinpoint if it was a failure of the operator or charger, as the customer claims they "always did right for those defective batteries". Or, at least thats been my typical experience. I always suggest to them "the best thing to do is have who ever keeps an eye on your place while you are gone, drive the cart around the block, park it & plug it in".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Many of the OEM chargers claim to have those features, and many of those carts still come in with flat batteries when the snowbirds come back to town. Either the feature didnt work, or the charger wasnt plugged in while they were gone. Hard to pinpoint if it was a failure of the operator or charger, as the customer claims they "always did right for those defective batteries". Or, at least thats been my typical experience. I always suggest to them "the best thing to do is have who ever keeps an eye on your place while you are gone, drive the cart around the block, park it & plug it in".
Even if the charger does automatically initiate a charge after about a month, or after the pack self-discharges to a predetermined voltage and the features do in fact work, the climate in parts of Arizona is rough on FLA batteries.

Apparently, the climate in the Phoenix area is rough on cart batteries even if they don't sit idle for extended periods of time.

My 2008 PDS had came off a 3-year lease when I acquired it in June 2011 and the batteries had a "L9" date code and would only take an 85% SoC charge.

The Dec-09 batteries were only 18 months old in June 2011, so my guess is that they were a replacement set for the originals, which had apparently lasted less than 2 years.

The batteries had a BFS watering system installed, but I have no idea what charger(s) were used. However, based on the nose art, I'm fairly certain my cart spent the first three years of its life at Coyote Lakes Golf Club (Near Phoenix) as cart #60 in their fleet. (See attached for why I think so. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coyote Nose Art.jpg (309.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg coyote-logo.JPG (11.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart side view.jpg (864.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO