lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
jabber82
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default I think I fried the OBC...??

I recently took my 2002 DS IQ for a spin after a few months hibernation for winter. It ran for about a mile. While under full throttle, with fully charged batteries, it just stopped running. Thought it was odd, but on rare occasion (only happened to wife), the cart would do the same thing. Turn off the key, turn it back on, and it would "reset" itself and everything would be fine for weeks. This has gone on for a year. Tried the above fix this time to no avail. When pressing down on the pedal, I heard the solenoid clicking, but also a faint "sizzle" or crackling sound.. like an electrical short. No smoke or smell though. I pushed the cart home and plugged it in. Same sizzle noise, again, no smoke or smell. Unplugged immediately. In case it matters, I hear the solenoid click four times in a specific pattern. Click click....click click and then stops until I release and press the pedal down again. Forward or reverse is the same sound and clicking pattern.

Unfortunately, I have no way of trailering it to a shop about 15 miles away, so I would love to see if this is something that I can fix (and possibly upgrade at the same time ;) )
jabber82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
jabber82
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: I think I fried the OBC...??

well, I think I diagnosed the problem. I saw that the cable ends could use a cleaning since they developed some scale on them. On one of them, the cable came off in my hand :) That might be the problem /end sarcasm.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
Aauman88
Gone Wild

Take the oppurtunity to upgrade the entire cable set if they are stock and you ever plan to upgrade electrics
Aauman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber82 View Post
well, I think I diagnosed the problem. I saw that the cable ends could use a cleaning since they developed some scale on them. On one of them, the cable came off in my hand :) That might be the problem /end sarcasm.
been there ... done that
melted a post too
Old 04-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You are lucky you did not melt a battery terminal. That often happens when you get a bad connection like that. Yours was bad enough that that did not happen. Clean and replace any cables that are not in perfect condition.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
jabber82
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the comments. I was lucky. I am replacing all of battery cables with new 4ga just to be safe. If one fails, the rest can't be far away. Also taking the time to clear up the previous owners 12V accessories with a power distribution block in case I want to add things after the fact. Now that it is all disconnected, I found he used a fork terminal that was designed for a 1/4" post, not the 5/16" I need. I can't believe it hasn't caused me more problems.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car