lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
green okie
Not Yet Wild

Default 36 volt ezgo surges, bucks and jerks

I have a 1998 ezgo txt 36 volt series drive. It has new solenoid, diode, resistor, heavy duty forward and reverse assembly, batteries, 4 gauge battery cables, accelerator micro switch and inductive throttle sensor.

When the throttle is pushed, it surges, dies, surges, dies, bucks and jerks.
It's stop,go,stop and go every blink of the eye.

I've had this problem for some time, and I have basically given up and parked it.
I have replaced everything I can think of.

Any idea what could cause this problem? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
green okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 volt ezgo surges, bucks and jerks

One bad battery in the pack might cause these symptoms.

For example, If you have 5 at 6.5 volts and one at 4, that's 36.5 and the cart will try to go, but the 4v battery will likely drop to 0 as soon as the pedal is pressed, resulting in 32.5v and the cart stopping, no load, voltage rebounds, cart tries to go again and the cycle repeats.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Also Check your connections
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
green okie
Not Yet Wild

The batteries are brand new only charged twice so far, and about a week old. All connections are tight and fresh.
I have not checked the voltage on them yet.
I've had this problem for some time, even with other set of batteries that I replaced.
I'll check the volts on it tonight, but I doubt it is the batteries,

FYI - I have searched the forums and went back many years, trying to solve this issue.

Thanks for the tips and help so far.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Test the throttle signal. The ITS could be telling the controller to act this way.
What control are you asking about? Attached is the test for the OEM control. Test values are the same for DCS and series drive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCS ITS.jpg (225.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
green okie
Not Yet Wild

I have adjusted the ITS several times in multiple locations. The cart is still surging.
With day light savings time, it gets dark earlier and I work so haven't had time to test the ITS with DVOM yet, but hopefully soon.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
bbishop
Not Yet Wild

Green did you fix your issue? If so how? Mine is doing the same thing only I haven't replaced the it's.
bbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Notice he never tested the throttle signal. Water in the ITS will play hell with the signal.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #9
ksmechwannab
Not Yet Wild

Howdy All: not sure if this is tooo old or late to tag along, but... here I am because I had a similar issue tonight. From no movement to lurch/surge, after definitely cleaning ALLOT of contacts to include F&R plate contacts (DCS model).
Its an EZGO 2002 TXT DCS. 2014 batteries with 66min run-time) good pack voltage - 37v
I am hoping the delay or surge is from ITS or pedal switch, but solenoid click every time (been troubleshooting a couple of days).
Here's where its a little fascinating, with my foot on the brake pedal - slight pressure controlling the forward surge - take-off is smooth.
I am just wondering if there could be a delay signal to the controller from the pedal switch??? Like a corroded contact inside the sw. I know it's not the motor brushes (my first inclination; I replaced them - still learning the elec T/S ropes). AND, my first stuck motor - loosened with a small air hammer, and several wacks with deadblow hammer and BP Blast. Luckily, didn't have to remove axle!!!
Anyway, I'll pull the floor panel tomorrow evening and take a peek. Just curious if anyone solved this issue. I hope its not the ITS, they're a little pricey.
ksmechwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sunken (but clean) contact in the F&R board will do this. I don't think any Dcs had a F&r board like you describe. If there is a rod to the passenger side for F&R board, it's not a DCS, but a Series cart. Keep in mind bodies (that say DCS?) Can easily be swapped onto any TXT. And no DCS carts were produced in 2002 year.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO