lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
webeproducts
Not Yet Wild

Default Steel belted radial tires

Hello, new member here.

I have a 2012 RXV that is about to need tires. I would like to install steel belted radials (99% of use is on paved roads) and am having trouble finding the size I need. Currently, the cart has 215/50-12 4-ply tires which are (calculated) 20.5" in diameter. If possible, I'd love to just replace these with steel belted radials, but am willing to go to 13" wheels if that's all I can find.

Par Car fits their carts with 215/50-13 Sumitomo HTR 200 steel belts, so that's what I was going to use. The diameter on those is about 21.5" and I think they would fit. However, those tires were discontinued a couple years ago. I called Sumitomo and they said they have no other tire in that size.

So, my question to all you wheel/tire experts is "Do you know of a 205 to 225 wide, 20 to 21.5" diameter steel belted radial that will fit my cart?"

If I can find a tire, does anyone know the bolt pattern and offset of the stock wheels?

Thanks for any information that can help me in this direction.

-L
webeproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Steel belted radial tires

No expert, but most modern carts are 4 on 4" / 4 on 110mm. I don't know about the offset. You might check into wheels and tires for "Kei"/"mini" trucks like the Daihatsu Hijet (I know it uses 4/110), etc. Some of them use 4/110mm wheels as do some of the early Mazdas. I'm sure there were other cars, but not many. Some 4 wheelers and zero turn lawnmowers also use 4/110mm, but I'd guess not many folks want "road tires" for their 4 wheelers and lawnmowers.
JoeBleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
webeproducts
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response.

The new Par Cars install 215/50R13 steel belted radials. You simply cannot find those on line, but there's a Par Car dealer near me, so I have to call to see if they carry them.

So, tne next thing to do is to find someone with those wheels, beg them to let me put them on my cart for a couple hours and drive up curbs, etc. to see if there is any interference with the 1" larger diameter.

I think offset is just the measurement from the inside of the rim to the inner surface of the wheel where it meets the hub. That should be relatively easy to measure.

-L
Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you need that ratio (215/50s)? If you can go with a different profile, check Google for mini truck tire suppliers (or call a place like Discount Tire or NTW) and see what 12" and 13" options they have. I have a set of radial "road tires" for my HiJet and IIRC, they are 165/70R12, which are readily-available for about 200.00 a set and about 20-21" diameter.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
webeproducts
Not Yet Wild

I want the width. 205 - 225 would probably be the best. I've searched just about everywhere and you can't find a steel belted radial in 12". In 13 inch, it's hard, but as I said above, Par Car sells one. A 215/40-14 would be only about a 1/4" larger diameter, but I can't find one. 225/40-13 would be about 1/2" shorter, 225/45-13 would be 1/2" taller. All would probably fit, but I can't find these sizes in any type of steel belted radial.

Hence my question to the forum. I was hoping some "tire-savvy" person has this knowledge.

-L
Old 03-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeproducts View Post
I want the width.

-L
Not being a wisea**, but why? If you are running mostly on roads (or hard, fairly smooth road-like surfaces), I would think the narrower tires would have numerous benefits - less rolling resistance so longer range/more speed, smoother ride, etc. I would also think many of the benefits would be amplified and the advantages to a wider tire negated in a short-wheelbase, (relatively) low-speed vehicle. For example, is a braking distance change measured in inches (even assuming a measurable change at all) going to be a big factor? In a cart, the narrower tires ought to make steering easier. Think of road-racing bicycle tires versus the ones for off-road cycling. Now, if you like the look of a wider tire and that look is, by golly, what you intend to have, then fair enough - the particulars of this or that tire really no longer matter.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
webeproducts
Not Yet Wild

Looks are important, too. Steering isn't an issue, and I don't care too much if it's a stiff ride. Just going to a taller tire will make the cart look funny (I think) so going to a thinner tire will be even worse.

Turns out my neighbor has a Par Car. I'm going to ask if he'll let me try his tires on my cart for a test drive.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

i sent you a PM with a website to order your tires from
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeproducts View Post
Looks are important, too. Steering isn't an issue, and I don't care too much if it's a stiff ride. Just going to a taller tire will make the cart look funny (I think) so going to a thinner tire will be even worse.

Turns out my neighbor has a Par Car. I'm going to ask if he'll let me try his tires on my cart for a test drive.
I agree about looks and really, relatively minor tire changes like we are discussing aren't going to turn a "golf cart" into a Formula 1 racer (or from a peppy upgraded cart into a barely-moving dog). I got curious about it, so a quick Google search produced this site:

www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=215-50r12-165-70r12
(once there, you can change the sizes to whatever you wish).

Comparing those, I doubt the 1/2" difference in height would be noticeable, but the 2" width difference likely would be, but what it would like on your cart, to you, would be personal preference.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #10
webeproducts
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBleaux View Post
I agree about looks and really, relatively minor tire changes like we are discussing aren't going to turn a "golf cart" into a Formula 1 racer (or from a peppy upgraded cart into a barely-moving dog). I got curious about it, so a quick Google search produced this site:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?...0r12-165-70r12
(once there, you can change the sizes to whatever you wish).

Comparing those, I doubt the 1/2" difference in height would be noticeable, but the 2" width difference likely would be, but what it would like on your cart, to you, would be personal preference.
Thanks for the info. I actually made an excel spreadsheet to give me diameters, and then percent speed difference based on tire profile and wheel diameter. My calculations are the same, so I think my formulas are correct.

I agree with everything you said. It won't make much difference in performance or ride. Once I get a set of 13s to try, I'll see if they fit, which is the biggest hurdle to clear.

-L
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO