lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 98 TXT Project.. Am I thinking Right ?

After being a good newbie and reading, and reading, and reading, I think I'm ready to start on the 98 TXT 36v series) project I "inherited"...

It is in excellent condition with the exception of the dead 6x6v batteries, the blown controller and some crispy wiring !!! It seems Bubba's cousin had an issue with a radio install.
(I would agree !)

(If you have picked up on my sense of humor, grab a beer and read on)

My use for the cart will be getting around my ranch community and occasional use on my property. I am a retired electro/mechanical technician, so I'm plenty comfortable with the tech skills needed.

Here is what I have on my shopping/to do list, I would sure appreciate your input as to errors, wrong selection, or other newbie screw-ups I may have made.

6x8V battery... brand and type as to what I can find locally (Austin, Tx area)
2 ga. cables "everywhere"..
Scotty B's 484B package w/400 sol, HD F&R, + controller fan (it gets HOT here)
5" lift with HD springs front & rear (open for source/model suggestions)
Flip rear seat kit
12" SS108's with 22" AT tires (already have these via "favor" trades)
Re-cover seats (wife's input) (see how smart I am ?)
Body paint (have "trading credits" with local body shop)

OK that's it..... I am open to all suggestions, If you can save me from a few "Aw, ****"s I would certainly appreciate it !

Thanks !!

Stan
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 TXT Project.. Am I thinking Right ?

Sounds Like a solid plan Stan.
Lets check out how your choice stacks up to my favorite package.
Pkg 484 = 400a control/400a solenoid/add a fan = 541.00
That's the lowest price for these components on the internet and initially it looks like a *** good choice. But wait -
Pkg 485 = 500a control/400a solenoid/includes the fan for 549.00 That's 110 peak amps more for $8. Plus the larger components in the 500 will not 'work' as hard as the 400 doing the same job which means lower operating temperatures and longer component life ...... Plus it is suitable if the ife insists you need a bigger motor later on, if you know what I mean

How about a couple of before pictures?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTurbo View Post
After being a good newbie and reading, and reading, and reading, I think I'm ready to start on the 98 TXT 36v series) project I "inherited"...

It is in excellent condition with the exception of the dead 6x6v batteries, the blown controller and some crispy wiring !!! It seems Bubba's cousin had an issue with a radio install.
(I would agree !)

(If you have picked up on my sense of humor, grab a beer and read on)

My use for the cart will be getting around my ranch community and occasional use on my property. I am a retired electro/mechanical technician, so I'm plenty comfortable with the tech skills needed.

Here is what I have on my shopping/to do list, I would sure appreciate your input as to errors, wrong selection, or other newbie screw-ups I may have made.

6x8V battery... brand and type as to what I can find locally (Austin, Tx area)
2 ga. cables "everywhere"..
Scotty B's 484B package w/400 sol, HD F&R, + controller fan (it gets HOT here)
5" lift with HD springs front & rear (open for source/model suggestions)
Flip rear seat kit
12" SS108's with 22" AT tires (already have these via "favor" trades)
Re-cover seats (wife's input) (see how smart I am ?)
Body paint (have "trading credits" with local body shop)

OK that's it..... I am open to all suggestions, If you can save me from a few "Aw, ****"s I would certainly appreciate it !

Thanks !!

Stan
I think you're on the right track by doing your research first.

Go with a good quality battery to get the most out of all the hard work you'll be putting into the cart. Trojan, US Battery and Crown and crowd favorites around here.

For the 2ga cables, you can't go wrong getting Scotty's since you're already ordering from him anyway. They're very nice and high quality. I'd suggest going with his reversing contactor instead of the HD FNR, it'll last you forever and using the rocker style switch is so much nicer that the old school lever.

For lifts, I have the All Sports super sport 6" a-arm lift and recommend it. I like it a lot (as do a lot of other members on here), but if you have the coin and plan on going off-road much, go with a LT kit. HD rear leaf springs are needed if you plan on hauling people or materials on the rear seat/bed.

For the rear seat, I have the All Sports rear seat and love it. It's deep enough for adults to sit comfortably on the back and sturdy enough to carry deer, lawn equipment, firewood, etc. on the fold down bed.

Have fun and don't forget to post pics! We love pics!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

How about a 48v charger...
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

+one on the reversing contactor. Only a few bucks more. Your wife will like it. Electronic shifting instead of wrestling with the lever.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

+2 on the contactor.. Its a shame Alltrax doesn't build a controller with this built in. Would be a little bigger and cost more but all in one package..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Some good ideas
Looking forward to the build thread
With pictures of course
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

WOW !!

A great community !

Scotty B.. I will take your advice, plan now is a 485 kit with 400 sol and will add the FR contactor kit.

USGI..... Duh, a charger....Thanks for the "nudge"...

Cables... Lucky to have a "pipeline welder" as a neighbor. Have free access to #2 welding cable and terminators, plus I'm kind of OCD on wiring and harness neatness from 40 year profession.

I am still looking at rear seats, most are not very clear if theirs will need additional roof supports or not...

I will work on before and during pics, I'm your Uncle Larry with a camera, (you know the one with his thumb in every pic) !

Thanks again to all of you for your input ! and don't stop !!!

Stan
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO