lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
cardwellmarty
Not Yet Wild

Default Stopped in it's tracks!!!

1993 ez go marathon, backed up about ten feet and stopped in it's tracks won't go forward or reverse, clicks when forward / reverse switch is moved. All battery terminals clean ,power to controller. I changed the solenoid, resistor and diode today, blew the diode. I'm new at this but I'm trying to learn.

Sent from my KFARWI using Tapatalk
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stopped in it's tracks!!!

Does the solenoid click when you try to go now? If not there are 2 small micro switches (ms) on the bottom of the F&R.
Check them now they have got damaged from the reversed diode install.

You can leave the diode off until you get the cart running again. It will do harm if installed backwards.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #3
cardwellmarty
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Does the solenoid click when you try to go now? If not there are 2 small micro switches (ms) on the bottom of the F&R.
Check them now they have got damaged from the reversed diode install.

You can leave the diode off until you get the cart running again. It will do harm if installed backwards.
Yes the solenoid clicks, but still no movement in the cart. How do you know which way diode goes on solenoid? Got a new one coming? Also have checked continuity on micro switches on forward reverse , all checked ok. Also checked continuity on potentiometer, checked ok.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
cardwellmarty
Not Yet Wild

Found out the diode goes stripe to hot side, does resistor have a certain position as diode does?

Old 03-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No see attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 400 solenoid.jpg (155.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

You just leave those little, fragile components out in the open like that??? Which begs the question, why are they not part of the controller?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
cardwellmarty
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the diagram and answering my question.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
cardwellmarty
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellmarty View Post
Thanks for the diagram and answering my question.

The first time I had problems with the cart it slowed down in forward and speed up in reverse, so I swapped the 9/ 3 o'clock terminals on the forward/ reverse switch it fixed the problem worked fine for a few months, then the other day my daughter and I went ( or was) going for a ride and it backed up 10 feet and stopped, want move forward or reverse. It's a 93 marathon so some of the parts are old so I replaced solenoid, resistor and diode didn't fix the problem, I also changed 9/3 o'clock terminals on forward / reverse switch back to original locations still not working, the forward / reverse switch is not burnt or corrosion and continuity checked good on micro switches. I ordered a new forward/ reverse switch and a new potentiometer. The reason for a long explanation is I'm trying to learn how it all works .

Old 03-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

the micro switch activates the solenoid which activates the controller which sends power to the FNR switch. the switch tells the motor which way to go. to put it as simple as possible. do you have a voltmeter, good tool to have for the electric carts so you can trouble shoot. Also buy a battery load tester. you have verified all connections are clean and tight, if good, check your batteries using a load tester, one bad battery acting up will shut a cart down.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
cardwellmarty
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird6246 View Post
the micro switch activates the solenoid which activates the controller which sends power to the FNR switch. the switch tells the motor which way to go. to put it as simple as possible. do you have a voltmeter, good tool to have for the electric carts so you can trouble shoot. Also buy a battery load tester. you have verified all connections are clean and tight, if good, check your batteries using a load tester, one bad battery acting up will shut a cart down.
I do have a voltmeter, a new one in fact learning how it works to, the batteries test 37.2 volts as a pack but haven't checked individually. The solenoid clicks when I press the accelerator but not when I switch the forward/ reverse switch. I have power all the way to controller, just haven't figured out the problem yet, power is there just not getting any motion in the cart.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO