lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Main Load Fusing For Lithium Conversion

I am installing a lithium conversion pack on my 2012 36v TXT PDS. The pack comes with a wiring harness with 4ga wire and 175a Anderson Powerpoles and ring connectors . The mfgr. recommends a fuse on the positive load line. I can't tell looking in the sticky'd wiring diagrams if there is a fuse already in the system or if I need to add one.

If there is no fuse any recommendations on how to do this would be appreciated.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Main Load Fusing For Lithium Conversion

Most stock systems do not have a fuse between the battery and controller. Alltrax supplies one though with their controllers. It's a good idea to install one. I put mine in the negative lead coming from the Lithium pack but you can put it on the positive side also.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Most stock systems do not have a fuse between the battery and controller. Alltrax supplies one though with their controllers. It's a good idea to install one. I put mine in the negative lead coming from the Lithium pack but you can put it on the positive side also.
Something like this? fuse: https://www.delcity.net/store/Low-Te...19244.h_819245 Fuse holder: https://www.delcity.net/store/MEGA-F...lders/p_795652

One question I have is that these are "rated" at 32v. The vendor suggests not using these above rated voltage. I also see something similar from Blue Seas but they are rated for 32v as well. Will these not work above rated voltage?

These are rated up to 58v :
Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

After digging more I found a little info. From what I understand it is not recommended to use a fuse rating under the intended voltage, so no 32v fuses for a 36v system. It would appear that you can use a higher voltage rated fuse with proper amp rating. So, what I am finding most common are CNN type bolt down fuses. They are mosting available in 80v and some in 48v at different amp ratings. CNN/ANN/ANL fuse blocks are pretty easy to find.

Here are some fuse offerings from Littlefuse http://www.littelfuse.com/products/f...fuses/cnn.aspx

Here is a fuse holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PHAQE6W...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This fuse holder looks a bit more substantial with a phenolic base and polycarbonate cover rated at up to 125 volts and 250°.

I am waiting to hear from the pack vendor for recommended amperage needed and whether I need a quick blow fuse or delayed.

Am I going in the right direction here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuseblock.jpg (6.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Interested to see what the vendor recommends.

Also, what vendor did you go with? I just recently found my Powerwise charger was chronically under-charging my lead-acid batteries and so I'm starting to ponder lithium for their replacement sometime in the next year
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Interested to see what the vendor recommends.

Also, what vendor did you go with? I just recently found my Powerwise charger was chronically under-charging my lead-acid batteries and so I'm starting to ponder lithium for their replacement sometime in the next year
Here is the conversion pack I ordered. I got the harness with it with the anderson powerpoles. So conversion involves attaching the harness where the old pos and neg wires were attached and bypassing the reed switch if you have one. Vendor recommended a CNN type fuse 250 - 300a. It comes in a 48v and 80v version but I am having trouble finding the 48v so am going with the 300a 80v fuse.

http://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/inde...led&Itemid=605

Two people posted in this thread after converting to this companies lithium pack. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-damaged.html
Old 03-30-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks! I sent an email to them yesterday afternoon asking their opinion on a few questions. Waiting to see what they respond with.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks! I sent an email to them yesterday afternoon asking their opinion on a few questions. Waiting to see what they respond with.
My only minor issue with this company thus far is communication. I think this might be a mom and pop company and they stay busy. If you call you will probably talk to Nick. Every time I have called them Nick picked up and I was never put on hold or sent to voice mail. He is very nice but my old 67 year old ears have a hard time understanding him. His native language is obviously not English. They will probably get back to you by email the next day. I received my pack today and emailed Nick some questions. He called me on my cell about an hour later so all is good. Here are some pics of my pack with a 24 size 12v batt next to it for comparison. The power and charger Anderson powerpole plugs are neatly tucked on the backside. Another minor rub is that there was zero documentation with the pack and the charger. I got a generic PDF file with the order with recommended wiring and connections. The charger I got has two LED's and I don't have clue what they mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lithpackcomparison.JPG (72.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow, that's tiny! How many amp hours or watt hours is that pack? Is it the 2.6kwh one?

I sent the email and never got a reply. But it's my work email so it could have been filtered out as spam, which I don't have access to.

I'll give my current pack some exercise this weekend and then see how happy you are with this one after installation before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Wow, that's tiny! How many amp hours or watt hours is that pack? Is it the 2.6kwh one?

I sent the email and never got a reply. But it's my work email so it could have been filtered out as spam, which I don't have access to.

I'll give my current pack some exercise this weekend and then see how happy you are with this one after installation before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the info!
It is the one in the link in post #6. I emailed a question about the charger yesterday about this time and just got a reply back. You might try calling them. They are located in Las Vegas.

Will hopefully get it running this weekend if all of my parts arrive. I have to clean up the old corroded battery tray and paint and put in a HDPE platform. Then mount the pack, fuse holder and bypass the reed switch.

Here is a thread where I learned about this pack. A couple of satisfied customers have posted there.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-damaged.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO