lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
mchavez2304
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ GO Not Moving But Motor Spins

So I have an older 99 model EZ GO as a farm work cart. I noticed after pulling some equipment around the cart started making a "slipping noise". When I lightly give it some gas it will move slowly, as it's supposed to. When I try to go full throttle it slowly takes off (if at all) and sounds like the motor is turning but the cart doesn't move.

I read on some other threads that the hub (or brake drums) might be stripped. I went ahead and took those off and they seem ok. I also did a test where I gave it some gas and looked at the castle nuts, they are not spinning when I'm hearing this noise, which I think also means the hubs aren't stripped.

What else can it be? The sound seems to be coming from around the motor area, I'm really hoping I don't have to replace the entire axle.

Thanks in advance for your help!
mchavez2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
mchavez2304
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZ GO Not Moving But Motor Spins

Here is the Manuf code and Serial No:

H299
Old 08-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Most likely you have a stripped hub. Ausco used to make HD replacement inuts, Today the only way to get a better than OEM hub is to buy the PK1998 Cable disc brake kit for this cart.

Remember when replacing this hub the castle nut torques down to 100-140 ft pounds - that is critical to a long service life.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
mchavez2304
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scott, but I don't think it's the hubs, the splines or teeth look good. Also, when I press the gas and look at the castle nut both it and the wheel aren't spinning but the motor sounds like it's turning.

I just called the parts guy to ask what a stripped hub will look like, he said it won't have any teeth left. After I told him the teeth look fine, he thought it might be the "input shaft or motor coupling". I'm currently looking those up to see how I can check for those without taking it all apart.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Download the Owner's, Parts, and Service Manuals from the Stickies.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm having the exact same problem... I wish there would have been more discussion on this thread... Not much point in my asking the exact same question on a new thread
I don't abuse the cart... Just went to go forward and something let go... Hubs are fine... No grinding noise or breakage clunk... Just smooth slippage... Slight throttle it will move forward... I bit more throttle... It lets go... I had assumed there was some type of slip clutch involved but it's starting to sound like that ain't it... Not new to mechanics... Just new to carts and this forum
Any suggestions?
Hope somebody's around.. The cart has my 68 ford out in the weather til I figure this out
Thanks
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Oops

Last edited by meimk; 09-28-2017 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Answering the wrong question
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Once I got fooled by a bad battery. I would have sworn the hub stripped..... I was disappointed to find them not stripped ..... so I pulled the motor to check the input shaft... and it was good !? And then it hit me
I put a meter on the pack and hit the gas and sure-enough - it was dropping 6v (one battery) when I got on it. Same test for each battery revealed the bad one and the fix was easy. Except for putting the motor and hubs back on
Just telling you so you don't make the same mistake - But hey, don't tell anybody. I'm still a little embarrassed about it
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks a bunch... I'll give that a go... Was quite disappointed to find that the hubs were good
Test with brake set... Or free spinning?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good job Scotty... You were right again... Turned out not to be mechanical but electrical... One of my cables had corroded through and was just laying against the terminal... It would still creep along with slight pedal pressure but would let go with more pressure but it sounded like the motor continued to run hence the determination that there must be slippage... Electrical seemed very unlikely

To the next guy with this issue...STOP... DONT TEAR ANYTHING APART... until you've checked all electrical... If you didn't hear a breakage clunk and if you don't hear some type of grinding... As unlikely as it seems... It's probably electrical even though it sounds like it's running but slipping

Thanks a bunch ScottyB

It cost me $6 to fix and I didn't have to tear anything apart... Glad I came here before I tore into it looking for non existent mechanical issues
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO