lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
gijon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New Guy

Hello...
I just purchased this 1989 EZGo Marathon for my wife. It needs new batteries and cables along with a complete new battery compartment framework. I am taking it to my local welding shop and have them make up the compartment tray. I have checked out and cleaned everything as best I can so far, but without good batteries...who knows if it will run at all. Everything is in relatively good condition. I have already replaced some bad wires.

I have 2 questions so far.
1 - I have attached a photo of the battery compartment. I'm assuming from what I have seen and read so far - this is not a resistor cart. Can someone please set me straight.
2 - When we build the new battery trays, would it be wise to weld some mesh or expanded wire in the trays?
Thanks!1989 ezgo battery compart.jpg
gijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijon View Post
Hello...
I just purchased this 1989 EZGo Marathon for my wife. It needs new batteries and cables along with a complete new battery compartment framework. I am taking it to my local welding shop and have them make up the compartment tray. I have checked out and cleaned everything as best I can so far, but without good batteries...who knows if it will run at all. Everything is in relatively good condition. I have already replaced some bad wires.

I have 2 questions so far.
1 - I have attached a photo of the battery compartment. I'm assuming from what I have seen and read so far - this is not a resistor cart. Can someone please set me straight.
2 - When we build the new battery trays, would it be wise to weld some mesh or expanded wire in the trays?
Thanks!Attachment 162301
1 - You are correct, your cart is not a resistor cart it is driven by a controller.

2 - No need for any expanded metal unless you just want it. I would definitely weld that hole in the frame and check it over underneath.

If you know someone with a 36V cart, you can hook a set of jumper cables to your main leads to check/troubleshoot.

Welcome to BGW!
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
gijon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. I agree with the frame issues. A little reinforcement is good insurance. I'll be sure my welder squares me away. I have pretty good confidence in the rest of the components. The young man I got it from said his grandfather built it and it ran fine until the batterries went South.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgocart.jpg (179.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome BGW
looks like you'll be done in no time
Looks like you battery hold down tabs are cut off too , so might want to redo them same time as the new frames ...
heres a pic of stock tabs if you go that route ..

and a mannuel for ya if you dont have one yet
https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/i...o%20pdf/58.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9180.jpg (417.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (377.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg b2.jpg (88.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg b3.jpg (39.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg After Rewire Downview.jpg (457.7 KB, 0 views)
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

EZHO - what all accessories are you running? That's a lot of wires LMAO
Old 11-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well if you think thats funny , check out my other side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuzes for 12 Volt (4).jpg (353.7 KB, 0 views)
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Jeezus dude! I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #8
gijon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That is the stock wiring - no acc. I know right?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
gijon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank guys...I'll keep you posted. EZHO...thanks for the photos and manual.
on the hold down tabs.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
gijon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile New Guy Update

Well this took a lot longer than anticipated. It took a few weeks to get my welding guy to work on my battery compartment. Once he was done I brought it home in the freezing cold. It's been cold here in Tennessee so I could not work on it as it was either freezing or snowing or raining. Finally got a break in the weather and was able to paint the battery compartment with Corroseal and POR15.

I installed the new set of batteries and all the new interconnect cables on Wednesday. Everything looked good according to the diagram. Imagine my disappointment when I turned the key and pushed on the go pedal...nothing...not even a click or anything. So I checked voltages at the charge plug and both sides of the ignition switch - 37v - good.

I came into the house and read some of the forums and troubleshooting tips. Went back out yesterday morning to clean and check more connections and measure voltages in additional locations. I did find another bad wire between the F/R switch and the controller. Replaced it and then discovered the switch on the accelerator was stuck from sitting for so long. Once that came unstuck I had some movement.

Oh boy...we were off. Everything works as it should and it runs like a champ. The charger that came with it works fine also. My wife took it for a cruise down to the shop and back and loves it.

So far, I'm very pleased as I picked it up cheap enough that the charger is worth as much as I paid for it.

Now I'll do a little more custom work to it and post photos as it progresses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BoyzNToyz.jpeg (316.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO