lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
texman38
Not Yet Wild

Default Curtis Controller Rebuilder??? Recomendations???

I have 2 5 pin Curtis controllers that I need checked out, and most likely rebuilt. I see 2 ppl on ebay asking $100, no idea if who they are or whether their service is worth it so i thought I'd check here to see if anyone has a recommendation?
texman38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Curtis Controller Rebuilder??? Recomendations???

Rebuilt = the one failed component that failed was replaced. Not a good value, nor reliable. And expensive for a single mosfet or diode.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I agree with cgtech. Rebuilt = Repaired. Nobody rebuilds controllers anymore. A rebuild requires removing EVERY component and replacing it with new. That actually costs more than building a NEW controller, once you factor in parts, time, and labor.

A repaired controller will fail again. It's just a matter of time for more of those aged components to give out. I design controllers for various applications, and I seldom repair one. I will use repaired controllers to test things, where I don't want to risk damaging a new controller. Or I'll use a repaired controller while waiting for a new controller to arrive. Even FSIP only repairs controllers, and they are the only Curtis authorized repair facility left. I used to be a Curtis OEM, but I severed ties with them when I closed my shop. I still work with FSIP sometimes. I've supplied them with controller OS and VCL files when Curtis would not share the files for new controllers that were still under warranty. I would pull the files from new controllers and send to them. Apparently, Curtis has not given them the ability to do that.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I could not agree more strongly. When we sold/installed "rebuilt" controllers we would have to go back out and replace the repaired unit nearly 100% of the time. It was then I called the engineers at FSIP and asked for a list of parts they put in a "rebuilt" controller...... I got Uhm, ah...., crickets

Repaired controllers are a good trick for flippers.

For everybody else it is just not worth it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
texman38
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I could not agree more strongly. When we sold/installed "rebuilt" controllers we would have to go back out and replace the repaired unit nearly 100% of the time. It was then I called the engineers at FSIP and asked for a list of parts they put in a "rebuilt" controller...... I got Uhm, ah...., crickets

Repaired controllers are a good trick for flippers.

For everybody else it is just not worth it.
Is there a reasonable alternative? aftermarket controller? anything worth having @ $200?
Old 01-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If your short on money things are tight I don't see why repairing your unit would be a bad thing. As long as the cost would be around $100 or so. I sure wouldn't put $200 into a repair.

I agree with the above on a repaired unit but not everyone can just go out and buy a new controller.

That's my two cents...
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

You're not going to find a new controller for $200 unless it's a NOS (New Old Stock) that someone is trying to get rid of. I think you can get a new Alltrax from http://www.cartsunlimited.net for about double that. If you can't afford that, then get your controller repaired and maybe it'll last you until you can afford to replace it. It's not inexpensive to customize or upgrade carts. Cart mods and upgrades can be addicting. Welcome to the addiction
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
texman38
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO