lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
PurplePhantom
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Purple Phantom Build Thread

Hi BBW!

Per my previous post, I'm upgrading the cart (pre-owned Series TXT 36v) to 48v based on having a dead pack and looking to get more torque out of the system. Today was day one and I've run into some interesting barriers. Previously thinking I would knock it out over the weekend, now I'm not so confident based on what I've found.

I figured I would start with the reversing contactor, labeled a few wires, and went to take it out, but I couldn't find a socket that would fit the nut on the bracket and found that it was completely stripped out from its original 1/2 and nothing metric or standard would fit on it.

Reverse Nut.jpg

Cute...So i went after the battery pack to pull it out and found that the brace was corroded through.

Battery Brace.jpg

OK...so i pulled the rest of the batteries and had a hard time pulling the rear ones as they were wedged in, after pulling I found why it was so difficult.

Corrosion.jpg

I got the metal brush out which only helped some, and ended up needing a chisel to get most of it out.

Scraped Corosion.jpg

My question to you guys and gals is how "ham" do i need to go on the corrosion before I end up painting the battery tray? I'll be going after the surface rust a little more and covering with black rustolium, but since the project is halted and everything is out I'd rather do it right.

At least I got the cigar holder installed today....

cigar holder.jpg

Will be getting after the original stripped nut and will circle back to the track today if a consensus is metal brush then paint will take it another 5 years.

Cheers!
PurplePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Purple Phantom Build Thread

I had quite a bit of surface rust in my battery box, but there was plenty of good metal left. I knocked off what I could with flap disk and wire will then coated the whole thing with por 15. I learned about it here on the forum. Not sure about the correct term, but it neutralizes rust. I ended up getting mine at a hot rod shop, so figured if it’s good enough for restoring cars, good enough for restoring my cart. Lots of guys here approve of it.

https://www.por15.com
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
PurplePhantom
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
I had quite a bit of surface rust in my battery box, but there was plenty of good metal left. I knocked off what I could with flap disk and wire will then coated the whole thing with por 15. I learned about it here on the forum. Not sure about the correct term, but it neutralizes rust. I ended up getting mine at a hot rod shop, so figured if it’s good enough for restoring cars, good enough for restoring my cart. Lots of guys here approve of it.

https://www.por15.com
Appreciate the tip will see if there is any in the area before nightfall.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
PurplePhantom
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, so progress and confusion.

I have all the new equipment installed and currently when I have the FR switch in "F" it goes in reverse. I figured thats fine, I can switch the wires around.

When the switch is in "R" it doesnt go anywhere. I tired it a few different times and the cart shook once. Is the motor junk? Is there a simple test that I can perform to confirm that I have either wired it wrong or need to look into motors?
Old 02-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Problem is most likely the high current contacts in the F/R switch not making good contact in R.

Put F/R in the direction the cart runs in, then swap either the S1/S2 cables or the A1/A2 cables (but not both sets) and the cart ought to travel in the opposite direction. If it does, the problem is in the F/R switch.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
PurplePhantom
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Switched S1/S2 and had the cart in "F" which previously allowed it to reverse and when I pushed the petal the cart shakes, pretty weird.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That doesn't completely eliminate the F/R contacts, but it does point to the motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO