lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax xct settings

Call PQ and ask them what pole setting their bandit should be set to. My guess is 4 not 8 like stock which indicates a speed magnet is installed. What happens when you un-check control speed limit. You should have all it can give there. Keep me posted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

An XCT with a matching solenoid and 4Ga high current cables installed in an otherwise stock PDS will typically do about 24 MPH on level pavement with a good 36V battery pack. That is 5575 RPM on stock (18" tall) tires and 5575 RPM is about 23 MPH on 17.5" tires, so something is holding your cart back.

Also, that is bumping the 6000 RPM limit you have for User-2 - try temporarily upping it to 6500 RPM to find out if that is what is holding it back. Then set it to the max RPM recommended by PQ

If it isn't, it could be something mechanical like stiff bearings or under-inflated tires.

Or it could be something like the wrong field map is being used, but I don't know if there is one specifically for a PQ Bandit, or which generic one to use with it.

My philosophy is to make the cart be all it can be with the components installed and then dial it back to the desired performance.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As we all know the PQ bandit has a "speed magnet" or it would not run any faster than a stock motor on a stock Controller.

The one PQ Bandit motor I saw the magnet had been shaped on a grinder to a shape similar to a guitar pick.

I guess that is one way to eliminate poles from the magnet, but I don't think it always yields an exact 4 pole magnet.

If Your motor has the "top hat" type sensor, You may want to just take the 2 screws off and look inside the sensor to see if you have a round magnet or something that came out of a bench grinder.

If it has been modified, You may want to get a regular 8-pole magnet to go there so you will have a dependable and predicable sensor pulse count.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #14
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
... or something that came out of a bench grinder.

So what you're saying is a non balanced part is being spun at 6,000 RPM's at the end of a shaft mounted on non precision bearings with close electrical tolerances at high amperage.

Might be only one good reason to have a fuse in the battery pack. Uff-da.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

PQ grinds the stock magnet to trick stock systems? meh, I guess whatever it takes to satisfy the half-buck customer who don't wanna do the "full upgrade job" to get what they want. The "stock motor upgrade" is for the don't wanna spend all the money crowd. I wouldn't spend a penny above a speed magnet on a stock "sepex" motor/ stock controller job anyway (excluding proper cables, and a solenoid that wasn't a POS). Upgraded controller would be key here. Alltrax controller would be next. If a stock motor, Alltrax controller, good cables and solenoid don't meet your needs, new upgrade motor is the way to go. I guess stock motor might not meet your desires. Not talking crap, but if this thing, once sorted out, don't do it for you, motor upgrade is in your future. Your controller is totally begging for a better motor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Alltrax confirms the 4 pole setting and offers 2 maps for the IQ Bandit motor. One gives more torque (IQT-V1)
other more speed (IQ-V2)

Do not open files (they cannot be read by humans) and doing so may corrupt the file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt FieldCurve_PQ-BANDIT-IQT-V1.txt (880 Bytes, 0 views)
File Type: txt FieldCurve_PQ-BANDIT-IQ-V2.txt (864 Bytes, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is just kind of hard to guarantee a consistent pulse count under high rpms based on the method used to convert the 8-pole magnet to something less than 8-poles....

This is obviously not an issue with a stock OEM controller where it makes no difference as long as the pulse count per rotation is less than 8.

Edit:
To be fair I don't know if this is still their current practice and that is why I recommended that you verify for yourself.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlumQuick_SpeedMagnet.JPG (205.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Sergio; 03-13-2018 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Clarify this is not a current picture.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
Harley51
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Alltrax confirms the 4 pole setting and offers 2 maps for the IQ Bandit motor. One gives more torque (IQT-V1)
other more speed (IQ-V2)

Do not open files (they cannot be read by humans) and doing so may corrupt the file.

Fantastic, Robbie at Plum Quick also confirmed the 4 pole settinf
Harley51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #19
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

So what the bottom line was the original field map that was supplied with the control did not match the motor. The theory being that the controller was applying more voltage then needed based on the RPM's, but true RPM's were twice what the controller thought it was.

Definitely give an update when you do the new field map install. Would be very interested to see if the torque map does anything significant. As I understand it motors are wound for speed or torque, very curious if logic in a controller can change that basic concept. If it does I wonder if a side effect would be heat when more amperage is applied to a motor not designed to dissipate it.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Is just kind of hard to guarantee a consistent pulse count under high rpms based on the method used to convert the 8-pole magnet to something less than 8-poles....

This is obviously not an issue with a stock OEM controller where it makes no difference as long as the pulse count per rotation is less than 8.

Edit:
To be fair I don't know if this is still their current practice and that is why I recommended that you verify for yourself.

That grindy-grindy magnet thing is...... Well, I better hold my tongue, I'll just say "not impressed".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO