lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
bearcat22
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 TXT PDS 12v Reducer Question

I have been working on my 2007 TXT PDS for a couple weeks now. The previous owner had LED headlights/tail lights and a receiver hooked up directly to 2 of the batteries which caused an imbalance. I purchased a 30amp Veego reducer from ScottyB to power the receiver and lights. I installed the reducer, fuse bank, and negative bus bar properly. My dilemma comes in when deciding how to power the reducer and connect the memory wire of my receiver.

Option 1 - I spliced the On/Off wire of the receiver to a wire coming from the ON side of the key switch going to 3rd terminal of the battery indicator. This powered on my reducer when the key switch was on and the drive button was in Forward or Reverse. I was also able to connect my receiver memory wire to the reducer memory wire for constant power to save my settings. I also like this setup because my wife can easily use the cart without having to use a switch to turn the accessories on, it only has to be in F or R. If this operates the way I hope, it would eliminate the chance of the reducer being left on and potentially causing a fire. Basically the key would have to be on and cart in F or R.

Downside: The negative part of this setup is if I switch from F to R, the accessories lose power when I switch it into Neutral, because the ON/Off wire of the reducer loses power. So if I am listening to music, it would shut off quickly.

Questions: How much power am I pulling from the battery pack for the memory wire? I usually connect to the receiver via Bluetooth or AUX so I assume my bluetooth connection would be lost each time I powered down if I didnt have the memory wire which means I have to establish a new connection every time.

When I turn the key switch ON, it gives voltage to the reducer On/Off wire and turns the reducer on. Is it pulling any power from the main battery pack if the switch is on but the cart drive button is in neutral? What about when the key switch is off? Is the reducer then powered down?

Option 2: I was told a good workaround for the F, N, R shutdown issue would be to connect the reducer On/OFF wire directly to the + of the battery pack, and then install a switch so I can manually turn the reducer on and off before operating the accessories. The switch would be on the 36v side. I like this setup because I know the reducer will be off and there will be no potential for it to be on when I am not using the cart.

Downside: I would lose the operation of the memory wire of the receiver because power to the reducer would be completely cut off with the switch when I am not using the cart. Also, my wife may forget to turn off the small reducer switch after use which means a potential fire hazard and draining the battery.

Questions: If I turn the ignition key OFF, does it completely power the batteries down? Meaning would everything I have connected to the main battery pack be inoperable when the key is OFF or not in the ignition?

Right now I am leaning towards Option 1. I will be using this cart for mostly golf so it will be in F most of the time. If I have to reverse once or twice per use and lose the music for 10 seconds then so be it. I also think it makes operating the accessories easier. Meaning that they can be used if the cart is in F or R with no other switches. I also know that if the key is out, the reducer will be off.

Am I making the right assumptions here? If the ignition for the cart cuts off all power to the battery pack and the reducer automatically loses power, then would I also lose power to the memory wire?

I know this is a long post and I apologize. I just want to get this right and make sure I understand how each option may impact the batteries and safety. The big question for me is how does the ignition ON / Off switch impact the batteries.

Thank you!
bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2007 TXT PDS 12v Reducer Question

Here's the back story, if anyone has any better answers.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...s-hills-4.html
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
bearcat22
Not Yet Wild

Should I keep it in that thread? I thought a new thread would be easier
Old 04-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
bearcat22
Not Yet Wild

Is this in the wrong section or was my explanation too long?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You have the Veego 13V reducer, which has two 12V outputs.
1. High power (30A) 12V output that is switch on and off by remote ON wire.
This is the output that powers all the 12V accessories.

2. Low power (?A) 12V output that is stays on constantly.
This is the output that keeps the radio memory alive. I'm not familiar with how your Bluetooth connection works, but it might keep it alive also.

The 12V reducer itself is always on, the high power output is in standby until the remote on wire has pack voltage applied to it and the low power output is on all the time. The amount of power being drawn by the reducer is measured in milli-amps until the high power output is turned on and 12V accessories start drawing amps.

Unless the Run/Tow switch is in the Tow position, the PDS controller is on and drawing a few milli-amps.

The filter capacitors in the controller are always being kept charged via the pre-charge resistor connected between the large terminals on the solenoid, so a few milli-amps are being drawn from the battery pack to keep the filter capacitors charged.

In addition, lead-acid batteries self-discharge at about 1% of their storage capacity per day.

In other words, the battery pack is being discharged constantly anyways, so drawing a few more milli-amps doesn't make much difference in the overall scheme of things. If the cart isn't being used, you have to charge the batteries at least every 30 days, or use float charging to keep them charged.

Where and how you connect the 12V reducer's remote on wire only determines if the music plays with or without interruptions and that is yours to decide.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This model Veego voltage reducer with the two 12 volt outputs appears to be solution to keeping radio memory alive when radio is turned off. It might be a good idea to install a switch on the high current output to make sure all of the high power draw items is disconnected when cart is not going to be used for awhile. I wonder what the actual current draw is in the keep alive radio memory standby mode?
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO