lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Overheating issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBones View Post
RE: Brakes. I had a parking brake problem before the batteries went bad. I replaced the parking brake with what appeared to be a non-OEM part. Ran fine for a few months. Then I replaced the batteries w/ 4 new 12 volters. Then I started having shut-down and stop issues again identical to that of the past. More and more frequent and at shorter run times.

Presently the Batteries are fully charged. The 10amp fuse on the Run/Tow box is functional. There is no click from the solenoid as I depress the accelerator.

Additionally (and this may be the real issue), When I switch from Run to Tow at the Run/Tow box the parking brake remains engaged. Could the parking brake be the culprit?

There is an advertised Heavy Duty "OEM upgrade" RXV parking brake on Amazon professing to keep the brake cooler, preventing cracking and premature failure. Your thoughts on that?

JohnnieB: I understand what you are saying. However, I had no problems for 3 years after I installed the 22" tires (they in reality are a hair over 20" what-with the 10# air I inflated them with). Very rocky terrain here in Central Texas mandates low air pressure in tires. Terrain here at the ranch (and wife screaming "Slow down! You'll run over the dogs!) also mandates very slow speeds <10mph which means fewer amps fed thru system? Your thoughts? Do you wear that hat all the time?

I say again Do Not put a HD brake with a Danaher controller your just asking for more problems.

Find someone with an Danaher handheld programmer to help you with this issue. Might be money well spent.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
NoBones
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

RE: HD brake.
That response was expected. (the shipping weight of the advertised HD brake is 8 pounds. How in the world can an 8# brake out perform a 13# OEM?)
I wanted to bring this fact to the attention of all who are helping me on this bad dream RXV.

Hey USGI: You think the parking brake is the problem.

Thanks to all of you.
NoBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #13
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would like to see a programmer hooked up to your cart and see what fault or faults it is giving.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #14
NoBones
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah, me too. I'll check at the local golf course see if they might have one. I just looked on ebay re: new parking brake and the seller (golf cart dealer) recommends replacing solenoid w/ replacement of parking brake. Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #15
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes some say to replace solenoid when doing the brake. And remember use another 36v solenoid like the one you have on now.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #16
rngilliland
Gone Wild

There isn't any click from the solenoid when you press the accelerator. The click you normally hear is the brake releasing. The solenoid will click when you first turn the key on.

From what I have read on this forum it is possible for the HD brake to damage the Danahar controller. I would put an OEM brake on first, since you need to replace the HD one anyway, and see if that fixes your problem.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #17
NoBones
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just ordered the OEM brake from reputable dealer. Genuine EZGO OEM brand new $119.
The previous dealer ripped me for $300. Went ahead and ordered a new 36v solenoid figuring the solenoid on the cart is either broke or close to it.

Stay tuned.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
NoBones
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Answer to the "Replace solenoid when replacing parking brake" issue, according to axis-golf-cart-supply representative:

Yes. "The brake and solenoid cycle the same number of times during every switch key cycle". A new parking brake deserves a new solenoid. Makes sense to me.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #19
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Don't fall for that... The solenoid on an RXV does not cycle with stops and starts. I activates with the keyswitch and stays on until you turn off the key, or have no pedal activity for 30 minutes, at which time it will time out and turn off. That requires you to turn the key off and on again to re-energize the solenoid.

The HD brake WILL damage the motor brake control FET on a Danaher controller if used long term. Combining larger tires, lower pressure (sidewall deflection), and the lower amperage capacity of the Danaher controllers 3 phase AC output, is a multi-whammy on the performance of your RXV. Despite the higher ride height of full rated tire pressure, you are way better off with full rated tire pressure. If you have not damaged your controllers motor brake FET already, you will have been extremely lucky! Given your RXVs configuration, I'm not suprised at all about the overheating issue that you've been having.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:03 AM   #20
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: Overheating issue RXV

Sorry to say, Bob is correct. Lifted low pressure tires and creeping is bad juju.

First and foremost. Get a handheld bucked up so you get correct info.

Bad parking brake can prevent operation of cart.

Bad brake resister controller - ditto

Many factors can cause no click/no brake check issue.

Our company sells RXV carts - many with danaher controllers
And they are very reliable.

A dragging parking brake can also damage the
Encoder bearing in the motor by overhearing it.

Also be sure to clean motor end and lug so new brake does not fail.
Do not over tighten brake bolts.

Detailed brake install instructions are on site.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO