lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lift & Tire advice

A TXT has a plastic body and a Medalist has a metal body, so there is some confusion about what model the cart is, but the top speed for a stock 1996 series drive TXT or Medalist is about 12 MPH.

The max load (pax and cargo) for either is 800 lbs, so you are at about 75% of max and it is going to slow down considerably on hills no matter what is done. That is simply the nature of a series drive system, but a series drive is a better choice for low speed travel and heavy loads.

Going from the stock 2.0HP motor to an 8.0HP like the MOT-B1 will reduce the amount of slowing on the hills considerably, but will not eliminate it.

Replacing the high current cables (all 13 or 14 of them) with 4Ga or thicker, will also help reduce the speed loss on hills.

Replacing the stock (85A) solenoid with one having 200A or more contacts will also help.

Installing taller tires will increase the cart's top speed, but will also increase the amount of slowing on hills.

-------------------

If the end goal is to have a cart that doesn't slow very much on hills and doesn't go much faster than the 10 MPH speed limit, I'd start with upgrading the cables and solenoid. Next step would be a higher torque motor such as the MOT-B1; And maybe upgrade to an Alltrax SR48400 controller to maximize the motor's performance at 36V.

And then install cosmetically pleasing wheels and tires, the tire height determined by calculating how much torque loss is acceptable and/or how much speed gain is practical.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
not-so-ezgo
Not Yet Wild

I wish there was someone near me that could advise without feeling like I am being sold a bunch of stuff.

Big thx so far to ScottyB - He has had clear answers to all but my last one, and I can't expect him to be a fortune teller. Was just hoping. lol

Johnnie - You work with Scotty?

I bought batteries 6 weeks ago, so this upgrade hurts.. I do appreciate all the tips. I need to figure out the least expensive way to get to 48v, without causing myself a repair nightmare.
not-so-ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-so-ezgo View Post
1. I wish there was someone near me that could advise without feeling like I am being sold a bunch of stuff.

2. Big thx so far to ScottyB - He has had clear answers to all but my last one, and I can't expect him to be a fortune teller. Was just hoping. lol

3. Johnnie - You work with Scotty?

4. I bought batteries 6 weeks ago, so this upgrade hurts.. I do appreciate all the tips. I need to figure out the least expensive way to get to 48v, without causing myself a repair nightmare.
1. The trick is to figure out what the end goal for the cart is and then build towards that goal. As I understand it, you want to carry about 600 lbs at about 10 MPH and not slow excessively going up mild inclines.

2. What question was that?

3. Basically, I am a very satisfied customer. Scotty's customer service is superb and he doesn't sell anything he hasn't field tested. Also, understandable installation instruction come with his upgrade kits. He has repaired and built hundreds of carts, while the only cart I've actually worked on in my 2008 PDS. On the other hand, I've taught troubleshooting and understand what makes series and sepex drive carts tick.

4. I upgraded my cart in stages. My first upgrade was a complete set of 2Ga cables. Next was a controller and solenoid, both of which will work at 36V, 42V and 48V, so when I upgraded to 42V, all I needed (other than seven 6V cables and an additional 2Ga cable) was a 42V charger. If/when I go to 48V all I need to do is get a 48V charger and cables for a 6 x 8V battery pack. (Had I known 8V batteries might be used in the future, I would have gotten cables long enough to use with 8V batteries instead of the shorter ones for 6V batteries)

Like I said, determine the end goal and get stuff the will work now as well as in the future.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO