lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 36v vs 48v?

1990 EZgo C1390 Marathon with 6 batteries currently (36v)

I have read that golf carts are either 24v to 36v, or..... 36v to 48v. Is this true with a 1990 ezgo c1390? Is there a way to verify I can't add 2 more batteries?

Can I use 4 batteries(24v) or 5 (30v) while I equalize a single 6v or 2 batteries (12v)? I don't have a 36v charger w equalization right now. Please don't tell me to buy one, that's not the question - Thank you for understanding at the moment. A new charger is in the plan, just not right now.

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-650Y using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2018, 12:30 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 36v vs 48v?

You need 36 volts to run a 36 volt cart. From what I have read there were some carts that were made in the 1940s and 1950s that were 24 volt. Short answer there is no "either."

You need 36 volts. Hope this helps.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
You need 36 volts to run a 36 volt cart. From what I have read there were some carts that were made in the 1940s and 1950s that were 24 volt. Short answer there is no "either."

You need 36 volts. Hope this helps.
I have read posts here, where guys are driving there carts on 24v.

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-650Y using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is what the Trojan battery company says: http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-su...y-maintenance/
Scroll down to the part about equalization. You can do it with the charger you have.

If you want to really understand batteries, look here: http://batteryuniversity.com/
Enough here to keep you occupied for hours.

Can carts be run on voltage other than the nominal voltage they were designed for? Yes but there will be consequences. On solid state carts the main risk is to the controller. Putting 48v to a 36v controller might work for awhile or maybe not. Might quit immediately or maybe run for days or weeks before giving up. Solenoid may be an issue also. It's a crap shoot. Resister carts don't have a controller. They may run for awhile on higher voltage also. The coils won't like it and likely melt so you have to wire it up with a switch so it's really a boost. It's been done here so you can research it if you want. Doing this incorrectly on a resister cart can be dangerous and you could burn it up.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO