lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default Does this sound like a bad wheel bearing?

Hi all! Ezgo txt drivers rear wheel making a popping noise intermittently as you are driving. Happens at all speeds. I have a video but there’s wind noise but you can still hear the defined popping sound. I already swapped wheels and tires from one side to other to eliminate that. Don’t see anything loose or hanging. Any ideas. Thanks in advance
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Does this sound like a bad wheel bearing?

Here is YouTube video link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYLGeBDtNoE
Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you jack up rear of cart can you feel any in or out,up and down play when trying to wiggle wheel?
Brake drums tight?
If you remove brake drum any signs of shavings on shaft or oil leakage or worn spot on one side of inner drum?
When spinning wheel feel any tight spots?
Rear full of lube?
Noise from just that wheel?
Axle tube feel warm behind brake backing plate after a drive, Sign of heat caused by bad bearing?

Few things to check to narrow in on problem before pulling axle bearing
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Thank you I’ll check all that. Brake drums are tight I actually took it off today just to look around and all was good. Tightened back down the castle but and everything fine. It is a weird tapping noise. Only other thing I could think of is something with the shock? Only coming from that side which is strange. There’s no pattern to it as it’s any speed and bumps or smooth road same thing happens. There is slight clicking when jacking up the cart and pushing and pulling on that tire but nothing crazy. Imagine a coin or something rolling around in a dryer that’s almost what it sounds like as I know it’s hard to hear it in the video with all the wind
Old 05-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I bet it is bearing. Does it change while turning either direction?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I don’t notice it change when turning but maybe that’s because it’s the rear wheel. It’s more random but getting worse and it’s pretty loud that another cart driving next to me can easily hear it. Doesn’t really seem like a DIY job to me?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
Doesn’t really seem like a DIY job to me?
Sure it is. Just download a manual from the Stickies. It's pretty easy.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Thanks, I saw a guy do it on youtube doesn't look horrible. Think it can be done without a slide hammer?
Old 05-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Yes. I did a complete tear down and reassembly and replaced every bearing and seal. It's been a while, but I doubt it took me more than a day or two. The service manual is very detailed, and has everything you need. If you're doing this, I'd consider tearing the motor apart and checking bearings, cleaning commutator, and replace the bearing. Here's a trick I learned from this forum, in case it's not in the manual, for removing the axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2278.jpg (277.0 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Just wanted to update this. I decided to order the bearing kit off amazon it arrived today. This turned out to be one of the easier repairs I have done on my cart. I used some of the tips on here and completed the whole project with basic tools. As long as you have retaining clip pliers it goes really fast. I Was able to slide out the axle by turning the brake drum backwards and using it as a slide hammer like mentioned on the forum. Two bangs and out it came. For the inner seal I struggled with a hook but finally used a flathead to gently tap one side until it turned sideways and it easily slid right out. To remove the bearing from the shaft I placed an adjustable wrench over the bearing and tapped on the wrench with a hammer. I did the same thing to seat the new bearing. Worked perfectly. Was it the best method to do it? probably not but I got the whole thing done without a slide hammer or bearing press in less than 45 mins. Back on the road, riding quiet and smooth all for about $20. Thanks to everyone for the help and comments, the local dealer would have charged a little over $200 for this repair.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO