lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can the RXV be greatly simplified? Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by SangerRXV View Post
New to the forum I have a 2009 RXV that won’t run. The batteries are 2016, but somehow drained down to about 12 V total, my cart mechanic got the battery level back up to 50 volts but he says his scan tool won’t read anything on the cart.

The mechanic suggests it could be five or six hours to diagnose the problem, and then potentially $1500 or more if the controller is the problem.

My cart is very rough so he is offering $800 in trade toward a 2016 which would be $4500 out the door. The 2016 is very nice so it’s a nice upgrade but it won’t be after a year at the farm.

To get to the question, with the RXV being so complicated to diagnose and expensive to repair, is there a way to “strip” away the problems and just get down to the basics? Batteries supply power, motor turns the wheels, controller in between? I know I’m over simplifying, just looking for a way to make the cart more user friendly to shade tree mechanics that don’t have the diagnostic tool that doesn’t always work anyway.
IMO no. The RXV is all computer (controller) controlled.

I have both a 48v TXT and an RXV. I am an RXV fan but for your use (farm) I think the TXT48 may be the way to go. At 48v it is stout compared to the old and out of production 36v carts. It's old school DC with actual wheel brakes. The chassis is basically the same as it was when introduced in 1996. Pretty much anyone with golf cart experience can work on them. If it's not enough in stock form a relatively cheap Alltrax controller can be installed (plug n play) and it's user programmable with free software and a windows laptop.

Again, opinion only. I only know what you have posted so I'm making judgements with very little info.

PS. My TXT is 19+ years old and going strong. No issues to speak of since new BUT, it's never been on a farm or even dirt for that matter.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
reeseman44
QualityCarts

Club Car

Quote:
Looking at the exchange program it’s $720 for my controller if I looked it up correctly. It’s not too far of a stretch up to the Navitas 600 amp controller which I think will give me diagnostics that I can read myself as well as tunability. Is this a step toward simplification of the RXV or does it just have its own set of problems?
Thats ALOT more than what i saw for pricing
reeseman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #13
Dave1888188
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Can the RXV be greatly simplified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1888188 View Post
Man the 36 volt will work with an upgraded controller. The navitas controller will give you torque and speed. You can set it either way or both.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Actually with a series cart the upgraded controller will only increase the torque.

Dave1888188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Also, be aware that as more and more members convert RXVs to Navitas, there have been more issues popping up more recently with them.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #15
SangerRXV
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Also, be aware that as more and more members convert RXVs to Navitas, there have been more issues popping up more recently with them.
It’s a privledge to hear from the master! Thank you for posting. From reading other posts on this forum I expected that you would recommend the Curtis 350 swap. I asked my cart technician about going Curtis vs staying with the Danaher and his opinion is that I would lose some power. I didn’t ask specifically about the 350 module though so he is probably comparing to the stock Curtis.

Can you help me get to the next step in diagnosing my specific problem? Since i have a potentially bad controller I’m hesitant to plug in a working controller only to have wherever broke mine fry the new one. What precautions can I take to protect the new controller?

EDIT: I just found the 44 page RXV troubleshooting guide in another post. That should keep me busy for the weekend!
SangerRXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #16
reeseman44
QualityCarts

Club Car

Oh boy, im gettin an rxv...i should go find that guide lol
reeseman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #17
Dave1888188
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
It’s a privledge to hear from the master! Thank you for posting. From reading other posts on this forum I expected that you would recommend the Curtis 350 swap. I asked my cart technician about going Curtis vs staying with the Danaher and his opinion is that I would lose some power. I didn’t ask specifically about the 350 module though so he is probably comparing to the stock Curtis.

Can you help me get to the next step in diagnosing my specific problem? Since i have a potentially bad controller I’m hesitant to plug in a working controller only to have wherever broke mine fry the new one. What precautions can I take to protect the new controller?

EDIT: I just found the 44 page RXV troubleshooting guide in another post. That should keep me busy for the weekend!
My RXV with stock motor and the 350amp Curtis runs 33-34 with old lead batteries. It actually does 44mph now with 10:5:1 on old lead batteries. My 250amp Curtis without gears hit 32-33mph. Love mine in the neighborhood!

Old 09-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:

Now that is funny. Even a stock Curtis 235 Amp controller beats the heck out of a stock Danaher. Add performance reprogramming to the Curtis, and it'll outperform an unreprogrammed Curtis 350 Amp controller, let alone any other RXV controller. A reprogrammed Curtis 350 Amp controller is the ultimate!

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #19
SangerRXV
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseman44 View Post
Oh boy, im gettin an rxv...i should go find that guide lol

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showt...errerid=167865
SangerRXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #20
Dave1888188
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Now that is funny. Even a stock Curtis 235 Amp controller beats the heck out of a stock Danaher. Add performance reprogramming to the Curtis, and it'll outperform an unreprogrammed Curtis 350 Amp controller, let alone any other RXV controller. A reprogrammed Curtis 350 Amp controller is the ultimate!

Bob
This is the truth! I love mine. Bob it's nice to see you on the forum. If you come to Louisiana your room and food are on me. I hope that is well.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO