lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Confirming repair cost on EZ-GO is in ballpark

Hello friends:

I have a friend (Jan) who is elderly and her EZ-GO quit working. She called a shop to pick it up and they are quoting an expensive repair so she asked me to make sure everything is above board. Jan doesn't know what year it is but I am going to call over there and try to figure a few thing out. This shop is one of the new ones and I haven't dealt with them. I am going to call them for information only at this point. I will update this post here in a few minutes.

Right now, this is what they quoted:

New Batteries $1295
Controller Rebuild $130 to remove
$550 to repair and install
Total is $1975

What do you think?

Thanks PEPE
Pepe30269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
coachCartman
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Confirming repair cost on EZ-GO is in ballpark

That Price seems pretty high on the batteries and at 500+ on the controller rebuild they should just replace it with a brand new one (they are cheaper than that for a nice one and about the same price for a top of the line controller).

Bottom line, both seem high with the limited details provided.

What year, make, model, voltage etc??
coachCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I know it is hard for old people to do this but tell her to shop around. Batteries are not that expensive and like somebody said a new Alltrax with 2 year warranty is less ! Plus 2 hours to R&R a controller, PFT! ~ a rookie could do better.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
binder49
Gone Wild

AN Alltrax XCT400DCS controller and heavy duty solenoid was quite a bit cheaper and took about 45 minutes to install. And it was the first time I had done it. Was really easy. Plug and play
binder49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Send her to Carts Unlimited for a controller... The guy there will help her get the right one... and anywhere else on the planet for batteries other than where she’s at... I paid too much for my batteries and they only cost me $840... Trojan T-105s
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
binder49
Gone Wild

That's where I got my controller and solenoid
binder49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:36 AM   #7
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hi everyone:

I really appreciate your comments. I have an update and tried to edit the first post that I made so I had to do the update as a reply. Let me know if you have any other thoughts. Thank you so much.

I have a friend (Jan) who is elderly and her 2013 EZ-GO RXV stopped running. She called a local shop that I am not too familiar with and they picked it up and it is in the shop. They told her the repair would be about $1900 but she couldn't remember exactly what they said and didn't want to get frazzled over it so she asked me to make sure she needs what she is getting and that she is being charged a fair price. This is what they have on the invoice or really a quote. Is this in line with market?
The shop told me the batteries (12 x 4) were 3 years old but needed to be replaced because they had corrosion and were bubbling when being charged. Additionally the brake has failed which they are replacing. Finally, they said the controller needed to be rebuilt. Here is how they break down the charges:

Diagnostics Test $ 75
Labor $ 75

Replace Failed Brake $250
Controller rebuild $550
Remove and replace Controller $130
Labor $ 65

Total For all is $1808
Old 09-21-2019, 02:04 AM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

OK. Let me play devil's advocate for a moment. Run into this situation a lot. And I don't know anything about that shop.

Yes, all of it seems a bit high to me. But, somebody has to go pick it up. Somebody has to figure out what is wrong. There are multiple issues. New brakes. New batteries. The controller has to be rebuilt/replaced. Somebody has to deliver it back to the customer.

Perhaps a bit high, but not by much.

Also, the breakdown of costs does not make much sense. And if my experience means anything and you are trying to help an elderly lady, you are in the middle of this, and she has to spend that amount of money, you will end up being the bad guy in the end. Please don't shoot the messenger.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:20 AM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I come up with a total of $1808 for what you list. I assume GA has sales tax to add to the parts, If so, add that and see what you come up with.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:40 AM   #10
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hi Moon, you are right. 100% right. I'll end up being the heavy no matter what happens.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO