lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2019, 02:47 AM   #1
ezgorider124
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Stock 2012 rxv range

Hello 1st time posting. I have a 2012 rxv stock no upgrades no lift and stock tires. I live on a golf course and ride the roads around and on the course itself. Half the area is flat but the other half is big rolling hills. Using gps i run 19mph on flat roads and have a distance of 13 miles before i start to worry about charge. Batteries are 4 12v at 18 months old. Only riding me +1. Does this sound right or am i coming up short in the distance game?

Thanks for your time!
ezgorider124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: Stock 2012 rxv range

I don't think you can get 19.5 mph from a stock RXV without some kind of upgrade.

You might want to look at my post below where I logged the amp draw of an RXV:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-amp-draw.html

What I found was that, once up to speed, at 19.5 mph on level ground with one person the cart pulled less than 56 amps

Look at the amp rating of your batteries. They are rated based on minutes at 56 amps. This should give you an indication of your range WHEN YOUR BATTERIES WERE IN OPTIMAL STATE. My experience has been that batteries do not stay in this optimal state
(if they ever achieve it) very long. After a relatively short while generally I get about 80% of the minute rating on the battery.
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
ezgorider124
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It's been unlocked with freedom mode no other mods.
Thanks for info
Old 11-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
JBERGER
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What are you using to monitor your batteries?

Most of the built in gauges just do not work very well so you can't trust them.

Locate the State of Charge (SoC) chart for your current battery setup and let that be your guide for the pack, then add a good voltmeter for reference.
JBERGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

What exactly are you using to measure state of charge? OEM meter?(it looks like a needle gas gauge) Aftermarket meter? Seat-of-pants only? The accuracy, & when it will shut down varies from one "measuring source" to the next.

Heres the key... If any of your batteries are not in tip-top shape, all the meters will read inaccurate. They all work assuming that your pack of batteries are in "generally good health". I know of no meter that works great as the batteries get to "the end".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:27 PM   #6
ezgorider124
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Correct, the OEM state of charge fuel gauge is what is currently on the cart.
Im looking for a led voltage meter to install when I find the right one. Is it possible to run the new voltage meter from the battery pack as opposed to it coming from the controller???
I'm just trying to find the most accurate way to not get too low on charge and be stuck in the middle of no where, and to keep my batteries for the longest time possible.
again thanks the help guys
Old 11-02-2019, 03:15 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, if you want to run an aftermarket meter on your rxv, it's best run straight from the battery pack, & never "tap into" the factory wiring. Even the best that ezgo & Curtis could offer can't do a perfect job. They could only plan to meter "good batteries", not anything less. the only aftermarket meter that's worth your money is a volt meter (not the old "needle type voltmeter", it needs to show one point past the decemil point. (Of all the things my phone "corrects" for me, it can't fix that one word!). You will have to learn how to understand it (that's why most can't understand them), it will never work like a "nice little gas gauge", those "meters" almost always read wrong anyway. If you get a voltmeter, & learn how to understand it, it will be golden to you. You can (with a little patience, experience & learning) see how full, or low your batteries are, see how they work, and quickly spot any issue that may come up as they "get a little older". For the typical lead-acid battery set, a volt meter is the best thing you could have to monitor their health, and only a small investment to get one.

If you didn't know, the factory setup cuts power levels down before the batteries get to 20%, and gets ready to shut down the whole show when batteries are at 20%. This is to protect the batteries, gotta make that warranty life & all.

Best thing you can do for your batteries is keep them charged as much as you can. And charge them after every use, even if it's only "to the mailbox & back". Golf cart batteries don't have the "memory effect" like drill "nicd" had. 2 good long trips a year is good enough for golf cart batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:37 AM   #8
ezgorider124
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes sir! Im doing lots of reading on all this new info. That will definitely be my next purchase. Do you have one that you would recommend? I dont mind to pay a little bit more for something thats better.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:59 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is what I did. Both of these meters are wired directly to the battery pack and are always on. They could have been switched. I elected not to. Draw on the pack is almost nothing. I also put that sticker on the windshield. Hard to see in the picture but it has battery voltage with corresponding state of charge in percentage and repeats the chart.

The problem with the volt display is that it constantly cycles when the cart is in motion and to use it like a gas gauge you have to let it sit for about 15 minutes to get a true reading of state of charge. (battery voltage will rise some after use). Not that good as a gas gauge but it is great for everything else to do with battery diagnostics.

The segmented LED display is much maligned on this board but I have found it useful over 19 years on 3 different carts. It doesn't cycle and can be used as a gas gauge a long as you understand it's limitations. There are thousands of carts in my community and most of them use this. Over the years this has been factory equipment on many models from EZGO, Club Car and Yamaha. Made by Curtis it isn't exactly cheap ($80). Lots of Chinese clones out there so beware.

The women in my life that use this cart absolutely refuse to use or even acknowledge the volt gauge. The little chart I put on the windshield is ignored by everybody including me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0433.jpg (418.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0549.jpg (479.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg C U state of charge chart.jpg (59.3 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
ezgorider124
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Excellent info. Thank ya sir!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO