lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo-txt troubleshooting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore89 View Post
voltage for J1 pins 4/5 = 0. all the pins were 0 exept for pins 1 & 2 which were 37v.

When the key is turned on, start up light is 4 green blinks followed by solid green light. when pedal is pressed to floor, no change happens to the light. It stays solid green.
I am going to take a swing and say the controller is never getting the signal......pedal box issue?
These two conditions are mutually exclusive. If the XCT is powering up (LED coming on) than there is power on J1 Pins 4 & 5.

-------------
From what I can tell about the JCC-200 solenoid, neither the coil nor the contacts are polarized.

The Yellow wire goes on either of the two small terminals and the blue goes on the other. The smaller diode goes between the two small terminals with the banded end facing the yellow wire.

The cable from the battery pack's main positive terminal attaches to one of the two large terminals along with the small red wire (that goes to J1 Pin-5 and the beeper) and the banded end of the larger diode. Stacking order should be Cable, wire than diode. This solenoid terminal is known as the battery side large terminal.

The other terminal (known as the controller side large terminal) has a short cable that goes the the B+ terminal on the controller and the non-banded end of the diode. Stacking order is Cable then diode.

Note: EZGO landed the A2 cable to motor on the solenoid's controller side large terminal, but landing it on the controllers B+ terminal along with the short cable from the solenoid is an electrically more efficient arrangement.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #12
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

A question?
On the OEM Ezgo PDS wiring diagram there is no suppression diode, however on diagrams from Alltrax there is a diode. Learning from JohnnieB past post the Diode could prevent the foot pedal micro switch from blowing. Is this true on a Stock PDS where both positive and negative for the solenoid activation comes from the controller?
Call me OCD but whenever i see a missing solenoid activation diode, I will recommend installing one, less than a $10 investment. Is this a waste for the stock PDS?
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #13
jmoore89
Not Yet Wild

[QUOTE=JohnnieB;1669836]These two conditions are mutually exclusive. If the XCT is powering up (LED coming on) than there is power on J1 Pins 4 & 5.

-------------
JohnnieB, I just tested again with a meter and still got 0v for J1 pins 4/5. I am new to this stuff and learning so just to make sure we are on the same page..... J1, with the snap clip on the bottom, top row from left to right is pin 1-5 then on the bottom row is 6-10, correct?

So pins 4/5 would be the top row right corner. I took the neg lead to my meter and put it on the neg battery pack. then took the positive and placed it into pins 4 & 5 which reads 0. I tested it on pins 1&2 and was over 37v.

Based off your statement above, I assume I am reading diagram incorrectly in regards to pins 4/5's location as the controller is lighting up and holding solid green light. sorry for the confusion and I do appreciate the replies and help. just a dad trying to clumsily navigate his way back to a running cart for his kids!
jmoore89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #14
jmoore89
Not Yet Wild

Reading over the service manual I saw a quote that said along the lines "if the diode is incorrectly oriented, the pedal box micro switch and directional selector micro switch could be damaged."

seeing how it looks like I screwed that part up...…. I found a different thread you guys have posted reference this issue and I am going to try checking there today.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
A question?
On the OEM Ezgo PDS wiring diagram there is no suppression diode, however on diagrams from Alltrax there is a diode. Learning from JohnnieB past post the Diode could prevent the foot pedal micro switch from blowing. Is this true on a Stock PDS where both positive and negative for the solenoid activation comes from the controller?
Call me OCD but whenever i see a missing solenoid activation diode, I will recommend installing one, less than a $10 investment. Is this a waste for the stock PDS?
Good point. The suppression diode on the solenoid coil protects whatever deactivates the solenoid. For series drives and DCS, that is most often the pedal switch, but it could be the keyswitch or MS/2. For sepex drive other than DCS, the diode protects the coil driver inside the controller from the voltage spike that occurs when the magnetic field around the energized solenoid coil collapses.

The PDS controller has a internal suppression diode connected between J1 Pins 6 & 7 (Yellow and Blue wires) and I'm not sure if the XCT does or not, but attaching the suppression diode as close as possible to the coil is always the best thing to do and even if it does, redundancy doesn't hurt.

I'm also a firm believer that overkill is underrated.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Reading over the service manual I saw a quote that said along the lines "if the diode is incorrectly oriented, the pedal box micro switch and directional selector micro switch could be damaged."

seeing how it looks like I screwed that part up...…. I found a different thread you guys have posted reference this issue and I am going to try checking there today.
The service manuals cover both series drives and PDS, so be very careful that the part of the manual you are reading applies to your cart. The statement you quoted is for series drives.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
JohnnieB, I just tested again with a meter and still got 0v for J1 pins 4/5. I am new to this stuff and learning so just to make sure we are on the same page..... J1, with the snap clip on the bottom, top row from left to right is pin 1-5 then on the bottom row is 6-10, correct?

So pins 4/5 would be the top row right corner. I took the neg lead to my meter and put it on the neg battery pack. then took the positive and placed it into pins 4 & 5 which reads 0. I tested it on pins 1&2 and was over 37v.

Based off your statement above, I assume I am reading diagram incorrectly in regards to pins 4/5's location as the controller is lighting up and holding solid green light. sorry for the confusion and I do appreciate the replies and help. just a dad trying to clumsily navigate his way back to a running cart for his kids!
You've got the pin locations correct. (With tab on bottom, pin 1 is on top row - left side.

Since you get B+ on pins 1 & 2 (F/R in Reverse?), you must have B+ on Pin-4, which is the source for the F/R switch voltages.

You might not be making contact with the backside of the pins when you back-probe J1. A paper clip or small solid wire is sometimes needed to get to the backside of the connection when the plugs are mated with the jacks.

What are the wire colors on J1 Pins 1,2 & 3 ?????????

---------------

Attached is a drawing of a stock PDS controller showing the voltage paths through the controller. The voltage paths through the XCT are similar, but there is one difference I know of. You had the have the Key on and a direction selected on the F/R to get the stock PDS controller to power up, but with the XCT, only the key has to be on.

---------------
However, the controller powers up, but the solenoid doesn't click.

Getting the solenoid to click is a two step process, first you have to get B+ on the yellow wire, then you have to get B- on the blue wire.

With Battery charger disconnected, Run/Tow in Run and Keyswitch on, what is the voltage on the yellow wire?

What is voltage on blue wire (ought to be same as yellow wire, feeds through coil)

----------
When pedal is pushed, you should get B+ on J4 Pin-2. (Tab on bottom, pin-1 is on left)

------------
If you get B+ on blue wire and B+ on J4 Pin-2 and the solenoid doesn't click, the XCT isn't doing what it is being told to do.

Fortunately, it has a 2 year warranty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #18
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

It is amazing what a Dad will go thru for his kids happiness.....Yep I dressed up at Halloween, played Santa, went to Tea Parties, Told the Wife that i was not going dress up as the Easter Bunny... yep lost that fight too!
Good luck my friend these guys are great here and should be able to help you get it back in the road. You have a great cart with tons of info available.
Remember it a machine, pure logic....
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #19
jmoore89
Not Yet Wild

What are the wire colors on J1 Pins 1,2 & 3 ????????? grey, orange, green......I just tried V for J1 pin 4, this time with wire jammed into it to extend probe. still shows 0v

---------------

With Battery charger disconnected, Run/Tow in Run and Keyswitch on, what is the voltage on the yellow wire? 36.7v

What is voltage on blue wire (ought to be same as yellow wire, feeds through coil) 36.7v

----------
When pedal is pushed, you should get B+ on J4 Pin-2. (Tab on bottom, pin-1 is on left) are you referring to alltrax J4 or C4. i have no wire plugged into "J4", its a single wire port but sticking meter into the controller female pin, 36.7v. now if you are referring to C4, its a 4wire. pedal pushed down shows 0v (even tried sticking a wire into it to extend probe). pin 2 on this connector is black wire

------------
I am all turned around now. in regards to J1/J4 Should I be testing V on the wire its self or the female side on the controller? should have asked that from the beginning!
Old 11-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
What are the wire colors on J1 Pins 1,2 & 3 ????????? grey, orange, green......I just tried V for J1 pin 4, this time with wire jammed into it to extend probe. still shows 0v

---------------

With Battery charger disconnected, Run/Tow in Run and Keyswitch on, what is the voltage on the yellow wire? 36.7v

What is voltage on blue wire (ought to be same as yellow wire, feeds through coil) 36.7v

----------
When pedal is pushed, you should get B+ on J4 Pin-2. (Tab on bottom, pin-1 is on left) are you referring to alltrax J4 or C4. i have no wire plugged into "J4", its a single wire port but sticking meter into the controller female pin, 36.7v. now if you are referring to C4, its a 4wire. pedal pushed down shows 0v (even tried sticking a wire into it to extend probe). pin 2 on this connector is black wire

------------
I am all turned around now. in regards to J1/J4 Should I be testing V on the wire its self or the female side on the controller? should have asked that from the beginning!
The plugs have to be plugged into the jacks, just like they would be if you were driving the cart. To measure the voltage, you push the test probe into the backside of the plug. If the test probe is too thick, use a straightened paperclip.

By J4 I mean J4 on the cart wiring harness, which Alltrax calls C4.
It is a four pin molex connector and the wire colors for pins 1 through 4 are
Green, Red, Black and White respectively. The black wire and white wire are for the ITS throttle and the Green and Red wires are for the pedal switch. (In other words, the wire on pin-2 ought to be Red) However, I should have3 asked what the voltage was on Pin-1 when pedal was pressed. Pin-2 is the voltage sent to the pedal switch by the controller and Pin-1 is the switched leg that goes back to the controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO